• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Carby air filter

Started by imoore, January 19, 2014, 05:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

Hi all. So i have fitted a carter drt08 carby to my Q. But can not fit the original air filter. There is simply not enough room between carby and steering box.
The filter i have was removed off a 29 U. So my first question is are the filters same between Q and U. They look identical.
What has been used as a modern equivalent filter.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

frankp

Hi Ian,

I understand the Carter DRT-08 is used on some 30-U and the PA and they have different accelerator pumps.  They also have different Model numbers.  The RT-08 is for a 29U and some 30-U.  The air cleaners for RT and DRT are not interchangeable, at least for examples I have.  RT diameter is 1 & 5/8" while DRT is 1 & 7/8".  The picture in the Master Parts List for the Q looks like the U, but don't know if Q is RT-08.  In the picture, the RT is on the left.  The DRT-08 is a Model 209S, according to its brass tag.  I don't know of a modern equivalent, although I have seen pictures of a K&N type filter mated to these carbs.

frank
frank p

Des28Qau

Hi Ian,
I believe that ( in the RHD version if not all ) these cars came out with a particle separator ( similar to the cyclonic pre-filters used in dusty environments ) I think Garry's Q has this type.
My Q had a deformed motorcycle filter (as pictured) jammed in that space .
I have fitted a generic filter, housing and a flexible air intake .
I Hope photos work.
Regards Des.
Des

Tinkeys

Hi Ian !
have you fitted an air cleaner yet ?

imoore

Hi tony.
Na i havent. As yet. Having some running and exhaust leaking problems still. But will sort them out soon
Ian

imoore

over the easter break i made a intake tube and fitted an air filter to the old ply. Also spent some time tuning the carter. But it soon turned interesting when i reversed out of the shed. We had a lot of rain and i may have underestimated how soft the ground was. And well she got bogged. nothing special but is worth a good laugh.
i then took the car for a 180km drive. this is my first experience with a vac tank. Well on the way down she performed faultless. but on the way home, because we were running out of daylight, she decided to get a blockage in the fuel line. Which resulted to me spending 30min disconnecting a blowing out the fuel line to get her running again. in the end we traveled in darkness with head lights on for a good 20min. This was the first time i had used the headlights and i was impressed. But still not gonna purposely drive at night.
Oh and i forgot to mention on the way down she blow the exhaust gasket around cyl 4 which made it a very loud trip but still worth it.

Ian

chetbrz

Hi Ian,

Your car even with the Easter break issues is really looking Great !!  I hope to start restoring mine sometime in 2015.  I really like your color choice of finish paint.  Driving at night must have been fun, hopefully no traffic.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

aussieQ

Hi Ian,

Glad you're back on the road. Not surprised you got bogged after all the rain we had leading up to the weekend, particularly as some people (no names) choose to live in the middle of no where ;D It would of made the Q think it was back in the 20's. glad you got out it out of the mud.
I too sorted out my continual high reving issue with the carby. A bit of brute force works wonders. Took it out to Mornington for a run. Slight tuning issue to sort out but otherwise running well.

Gary S

imoore

Lol yeh. With a nice stretch of gravel road realy makes the Q shine. It handles and grips the road/potholes very well.
Chet thanks for the comments. The paint scheme is one of the reasons i brought it. To me it seems to fit in with the colours of the day. Soon ish i will be freshining up the old engine. But don't think ill paint it black/silver. Im thinking a deep green with black accessories. And maybe a silver head. But not sure yet.
Were i live there is no traffic. As gary said. Middle of no were. The round the corner term used for me is a half hour one way trip to any form of built up area.  But it has its plus's. 
Gary i hope u didnt use the if it didnt work grab a bigger hammer approach.

Ian