• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

New member - Plymouth 1929 Two Door Sedan

Started by jjohn, October 04, 2012, 05:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjohn

Hi
We just bought a 1929 Plymouth with engine number U4026 in Sweden.
Can not find the chassis number of the vehicle body probably gone.

Glad to find this forum!

Very nice car, I do hope you plan to maintain it as an original car
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

The car's serial number is embossed in the emblem on the dash board. 

Fedco Serial Number Code

W P C H R Y S L E D
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Nice car,  Chet...

A good link for info:     http://www.ply33.com/

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Welcome!  Great to see a 2-door Sedan.  As a recent member myself, you will find a wealth of info in past discussions.
frank
frank p

jjohn

Hi the plan is to make to a original car.

The car was found in a barn where it has stood for over 25 years. Before then, it has been run in Sweden little unclear when.

/jonas

kimmc

Hey Jonas.  Looks like a nice car.  The body looks good...I can't see any dents.  I am working on restoring my '29 Plymouth coupe.  I am posting my adventures on the forum; it started out under the title "I need some advice".  Lots of helpful folks on this forum.  You will always get a reply from someone who has encountered a similar problem.  Keep us posted on your progress.  Everyone likes to look at pictures!  Good luck.  Kim

jjohn

Hi,
The radiator on the car (1929) has the part number: PA 8-14-28,
is this correct for this model?

kimmc

First, I'm not an expert, so maybe someone else can tell you about the part number.  Here's what I know.  The radiator shell looks correct; the Plymouth badge is missing (it goes in the hole on front near the top) but maybe you have removed that.  The radiator core is not correct.  The '29s had a "honey comb" core radiator.  I have one still in its original crate (pic attached and close-up of the core).  Sorry, it's not for sale.  These radiators are difficult to find and expensive.  The '29s had no grill so the exposed radiator core was what you saw.  I have heard that some shops can take an old core and cut about a 1" slice off the face and use that as a "false front" with a modern radiator core behind.  This gives the look of an original radiator.  Vintage radiators are expensive...I was quoted $2400 to build a new reproduction honey comb radiator using my old top and bottom tanks.  If you find a good used '29 radiator for less than $1000, I would probably buy it.  Others may have different ideas.  Good luck with your project...it is fun.  Kim

jjohn

The radiator looks not the same at the top left and right

/jonas

kimmc

Looks to me like original '29 tanks were put on a modern core.  The original "honey comb" core was probably corroded and leaked.  I hear that they are very difficult to repair.  I guess it is cheaper to put in a modern radiator core.  If this radiator works and doesn't leak, maybe just paint the core black and use it for a while; spend the money on some other part of the car.  That would give you some time to research and consider your options.  The old parts do turn up from time to time...it's kind of surprising what you can find.  Kim