• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Front window mechanism

Started by abradney, November 21, 2018, 11:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abradney

Hey folks, so i'm working on my later 30u (assuming its later because the engine) and starting work on the front windshield, I did not get any mechanism with car, I was able to pick up a used mechanism, but it looks like it was from a different year, i'll cobble something together out of it all to make it work, but i'm really looking to find what the original would have looked like. 

What do the channels down the side of the window 'frame' look like?

How was the original wood mechanism mounted?

What is the profile of the lower seal, and is it rubber? 

I've attached a pic of what i'm working with, and I believe it will work.

Any pics or information would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

chetbrz

I am not that familiar with the newer style 30U but will try to answer your questions because I believe they are very close.

What do the channels down the side of the window 'frame' look like?

In the 29U they are 1/4" channel very similar to the regular window channels.  They are available from Steele Rubber.

Here is a link to the two side pieces and the bottom rubber Kit#70-0016-52  For 1930U Plymouth same as 29U

https://www.steelerubber.com/windshield-weatherstrip-kit-70-0016-52

How was the original wood mechanism mounted?

I believe the same as your picture.

What is the profile of the lower seal, and is it rubber? 
YES  Contained in the Steele Rubber Kit

Cheers Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

abradney

Hi Chet, thanks for the info, however, how are the side mouldings held in place? Glue?

chetbrz

On my 29 the framing is wood supporting the metal skins.  I believe from your picture it shows the windshield frame nailed into a wood member.  The side tracks I installed without any attachment.  Basically the windshield and side molding held them in place.  The windshield only moves up a couple of inches so if fitted tight no problem.  Of course probably not weather tight but I don't suspect that my car will be out in the pouring rain very much.

A side molding attached to the wood frame holds the sides in place.  Come to think of it the window side runners have a little lip that the side molding uses to hold them in place or you might be able to tack or  staple them to the wood frame.  The bottom rubber fits into the windshield's bottom molding.  The bottom molding has a metal track that the rubber sits in and can be silicone sealed but here again in my car just held in place by the metal track.  You can probably fit the rubber bottom molding to put pressure on the side channels to also hold them in place when you open the front windshield.

My 2 1/2 cents,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member