• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Temperature Gauge

Started by abradney, December 23, 2018, 10:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abradney

Has anyone installed a temp gauge to show engine temp?  Where did you install the sending unit?

It surprises me that there is no obvious port, or gauge for engine temp. Does anyone ever have problems with engine over heating?

Crazydave

Someone added one to my car sometime at least pre-mid 1950's. They welded a bung on the upper radiator pipe. This would be the best location, as this is the path the hottest water takes to be cooled in this thermosyphon system.

Russ T. Fender

My 30-U thermosyphon cooling system never overheats and in fact I have to put a bit of cardboard over the radiator in cooler weather just to get up to 160 degrees.  I drilled a hole in a junk radiator cap and run a Junior size Motometer.  Even in summer stop and go traffic the mercury rarely gets into the "normal" operating temperature range. I run Motometers on all my early cars, they are accurate, relatively inexpensive and do not require any modification to the car.  I think they look nice too!

chetbrz

I use a motormeter also. Works Great.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member