• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Hubcaps - What do these fit?

Started by racertb, September 28, 2012, 04:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

I found these in a box in my garage and not sure what they fit...3 of the 4 look like they are for artillery wheels (a 30U?) and the 4th hubcap is longer/different.  What can anyone tell me about them?  I plan to sell, possibly on eBay...

Tinkeys

They look like late 1930 to 32 and they would fit my 30u
Cheers Tony

racertb

They look like they are specifically for the artillery wheels that screw on...like on my '29, but with the entire word "Plymouth" spelled out...the fourth (different) one, I'm stumped on...same logo, but more depth/length to it.

chetbrz

I think the short ones were for wood wheels and the longer one was for the metal wheels.  Not sure but they are for the 31 - 32 PA.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

I am curious, which wheels are artillery wheel. The wooden spokes or the metal rims?  I hear people talking about artillery wheels but I don't know the diference.
Thanks,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

kimmc

SD Glenn;  I am attaching a picture of "artillery wheels" on my '35 Deluxe Sedan.  Regards, Kim Mc

imoore

My understanding of artillary wheels, were wooded spokes fitted tightly into a metal hub and bolted together. As used on plymouths of this era and many other makes. As far as i know those wheels on your 35 deluxe are refered to as artilary wheels but not actualy them. They were just given the name.

Could be wrong
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

Extract from Wikipedia on Artillery Wheels :

The artillery wheel was developed for use on gun carriages when it was found that the lateral forces involved in horse artillery manoeuvres caused normally-constructed cart wheels to collapse. Rather than having its spokes mortised into a wooden nave (hub), it has them fitted together (mitred) then bolted into a metal nave. Its tyre is shrunk onto the rim in the usual way but it is also bolted on for security.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Thanks guys.  Nice car Kim.... Soooo, I have Artillery wheels on my 1929 Coupe and Kim has them on his 35 Delux. lol
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Quote from: SDGlenn on October 02, 2012, 11:03:26 AM
Thanks guys.  Nice car Kim.... Soooo, I have Artillery wheels on my 1929 Coupe and Kim has them on his 35 Delux. lol
SDGlenn

Glenn,

I would think that anything today that has spokes might be termed artillery wheels.  In reference to wheel technology at the turn of the century and in the twenties, Artillery grade wheels were wood wheels meeting military specification for strength and durability.

In today's dictionary the word tire is explained as:

A ring or band of rubber, either solid or hollow and inflated, or of metal, placed over the rim of a wheel to provide traction or resistance to wear.

At the turn of the century it was the metal ring applied around a wooden wheel to tie the spokes (or felloes) together.  Hence the word tire, the metal band also provided resistance to wear and road damage.

I hope this helps,

Chet...

kimmc

OK....maybe there are wood and steel "artillery wheels".  I consulted another plymouth owner and here's what he sent me.  "The 1935 Ross Roy PJ Data book describes the wheel as "steel artillery".  This is the book Plymouth furnished it's dealers!"  So, it sounds to me like the early artillery wheels were wood with steel reinforcement and later the term was applied to the steel wheels like the ones pictured on my '35.  Hope that helps.  Kim

chetbrz

Quote from: kimmc on October 02, 2012, 05:44:08 PM
OK....maybe there are wood and steel "artillery wheels".  I consulted another plymouth owner and here's what he sent me.  "The 1935 Ross Roy PJ Data book describes the wheel as "steel artillery".  This is the book Plymouth furnished it's dealers!"  So, it sounds to me like the early artillery wheels were wood with steel reinforcement and later the term was applied to the steel wheels like the ones pictured on my '35.  Hope that helps.  Kim

You are correct.  Artillery grade wheels is a term specifying a degree of quality whether steel or wood.  Probably now obsolete to describe quality, but most likely refers to style today.

Chet...

SDGlenn

Thanks guys, all great info, and fantastic, ...... sorry racertb, now back to the hub caps.............. lol
Surprising how I always get side tracked
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

chetbrz

Quote from: kimmc on October 02, 2012, 02:59:22 AM
SD Glenn;  I am attaching a picture of "artillery wheels" on my '35 Deluxe Sedan.  Regards, Kim Mc

By the way, Really nice looking car,  OK.., now back to hub caps

Gary 30U

These caps were used on the 30 - 32 wood wheel cars. The difference in the length is to allow for the aluminum beauty cover that was used to cover up the center hub and bolts. The front cap already sets out away from the wheel by virtue of the front bearings and hub design. To allow the rear cap to set out the same distance from the hub the rear one had to be extended.

I am currently laid up from an operation on my foot, but will try to get some pictures as soon as it can.

Gary R. - Happy motoring