• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Inner Tubes and Valve Stems

Started by racertb, September 27, 2011, 12:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

I've dropped off my rims to be refinished and I'm about to order my new tires, tubes and flaps.  My question is, what type of valve stem - rubber, nickel or brass?  The salesman at Universal Tire told me that all wood wheels should be using the brass stem.  A salesman at Coker told me nickel...I don't think they really know.

Does anyone on the board know?  Is the brass (or nickel) stem stronger and or different in appearance?  Does it really matter?  Of course, the rubber is cheaper and is what was on the car...

Tinkeys

I went for rubber with my 30u i think its more for personal choice , just my thought !

Gary 30U

Didn' know there was anything other than rubber available. Mine are rubber and no one said anything at the 2010 National Meet.

Gary

Tinkeys

An older friend told me he had seen cover sleeves that can be put over valve stems years ago !

racertb

Yes, there are nickel sleeves made to cover the rubber valve stems so the "look" is (supposedly) correct.  At Coker or Universal, they are about $14 each.

The brass or nickel stem tubes require wheel hardware that attaches the stem to the felloe and then there is a sleeve for those stems as well.  There is a good diagram on the Universal site of how it all goes together.  This method (with the tubes and hardware) is more expensive than the rubber stem tubes.  Since I have everything apart and the rims are being re-done and installing new tires, I was thinking about going the brass stem route only if this is the original and correct way.  But, it would definitely be more pratical and cheaper going with the rubber stems.

29UJohn

Best to send Earl or Jeff Buton and email with that question.
John
1929U 4 Dr

wellery

Maybe the  best way to go would be to have them Brass as being demountable rims and the likelihood of slippage on the wheel it may shear the rubber stem of – also may happen when you get a flat and the tube moves around – just a thought

racertb

I emailed Jeff and he said he used nickel, however, he seemed to think it really wouldn't matter and I wouldn't lose points in a show.  I'm not really "point conscious" as I am I'd like to do it as original as possible.

Got the rims back today and want to order the tires and tubes by early next week.  I have a concern if I go with the brass stems with the hardware to mount to the rim.  I understand how the process works with securing the stem to the rim (from above and below) but I'm puzzled on how I'll be able to get the felloe on to the rim with the stem being straight up firmly in place on the rim.  At least with a rubber stem (which had been on the car for years) there would be a little flexibility to move it around and/or down to help in mounting the felloe to the rim.

Any thought on this on how to mount the felloe to the rim with the stiff/non-flexible stem?