• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Bearing caps/hubcaps

Started by SteveG, July 26, 2014, 10:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG

I plan on re-greasing the wheel bearings soon.

Does anyone know if the hubcaps are used to lube the bearings?

SteveG

chetbrz

Steve,

I don't believe the hubcaps were used for grease since centrifugal force would only push the grease to the outer depths of the hubcaps.  I haven't gotten around to it yet but I was thinking that you may be able to find a grease cap that would fit the inner hub dimension and still allow for the hubcaps to go over the grease cap.  Of course I an speaking about a 29 or possibly a 1930 Plymouth.  Not sure about others ???  But in answer to the direct question I would say No, not intended for grease recirculation.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

in my opinion the caps on the '29-30 are decorative and to keep out dirt only. If you remove, clean and repack the wheel bearings with clean grease they will operate a very long time. All the extra grease in the world will do nothing. A standard practice used to be to fill the hub between the two bearings with grease but that was more for having some spare grease on hand to change a bearing on the road then for doing any lubrication. A bearing will lub itself if packed full to begin with. Then put a thin layer on top the rollers before installing it in the race. Happy Motoring. - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.