• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Paint Scheme questions

Started by 29UJohn, December 26, 2014, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

After 40 years I plan to repaint my 1929 Plymouth.  I would like to hear from some other owners on a few color scheme questions.

1) Is the visor on your car solid black, or the color of the body?

2) Is the moulding on the lower edge of the body the color of the body, or the color of other mouldings, such as the one down the center? 

3) What about the moulding in the outer edge of the hood?

John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

I can't help you someone sprayed my car all one color but maybe the POC judging guide might help.

Here is the link for your convenience:  http://www.plymouthbulletin.com/guides/1928_1939.pdf

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Chet,
Thanks.  Mainly I am interested in other 28-29 Plymouth owners car's paint schemes.

The Judging guide helps, but it leaves many questions unanswered. For example, it states that one will be penalized if the pinstriping is not correct, but what is correct?

It also mentions, "Pin stripe outlined woodgraining on the sedan cowling."  I was not aware that the 1929 Sedan had woodbraining on the cowling.  Where exactly is this pinstripe?

Also, the running board and floor mats - we are penalized if the pattern is not correct, but what is correct?  Not complaining, but it would be great if there were pictures of what right looks like. But, since there is very little documentation on our early Plymouths, we just have to do the best as we know it.

John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

You may want to give Jeff Buton a call he is the 29U Tech Advisor for the POC.  If you need his number give me a shout I can email it to you.  If he doesn't know he might be able to put you in contact with one of the judges who should know what is correct and what isn't.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Old Man

Just don't go by any of those quasi color magazine ads of the era. They are all fanciful ideas of the different artists of what a Plymouth should look like. However they didn't have all those beltline surrounds and window surrounds. At least none that I've ever seen. I've seen a couple of original '29 Canadian sedans and they were just black running gear and colored body with plain double line pin stripping. I understand that at some time in the U.S. your college colors could be put on your roadster but this was rare and only in the U.S. Also there is some talk lately on the net of Chrysler putting ANY color they had in a can in house on any car for $30 just to move the vehicle. Also I know of a Dodge truck series(10 units) that had their company livery put on at the Dodge factory rather than waiting until they reached their destination. BUT unless you know for sure your car mostlikely had one the brown,blue,green or red colors originally,all very dark. (This is why all the cars and trucks appear to be black in old b+w photos. The film stock was monochromatic but the vehicles were all very dark in color. I had an original '31 PA Plymouth that appeared black most of the day. But blue came off on my polishing cloth proving it was Plymouth Radio Blue. It is my understanding that the 1st car that could be ordered from the Big Three in white from an assembly line was the 1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville.)       

frankp

John,

My car appeared to be Marquette Blue, so the beads and mouldings were that color also according to info in an old Ply Bulletin.  The stripe was vermillion.  Other body colors had contrasting colors for B & M and the stripe.  Black fenders and body section above floor board.  I'll look to find a picture of my striping, which did pass at a judged meet.

frank
frank p

29UJohn

Frank,
Thanks - I would appreciate the pictures.
John
John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

Thanks guys!

Frank,  I would appreciate the pictures.

Chet,
I have been in contact with both Earl and Jeff and they have been very helpful, but I am also interested to know about members cars.  I and am interested in pictures showing paint and other features, especially if the car is original or restored to original.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Quote from: 29UJohn on December 29, 2014, 09:39:22 PM
Thanks guys!

Frank,  I would appreciate the pictures.

Chet,
I have been in contact with both Earl and Jeff and they have been very helpful, but I am also interested to know about members cars.  I and am interested in pictures showing paint and other features, especially if the car is original or restored to original.

This collected info sounds like a good idea for a Tech Thread.  Might help someone in the future.