• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Just my Opinion

Started by 28Q29U, March 08, 2007, 09:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

28Q29U

Maybe I am off base but I think this site should be about people who love to drive these great old antique rides.  A case in point.

Recently I received an email from a colleague in Germany who owns a 1927 Chrysler Model 52

I thought I would share this message from my colleague:

Hi Chet,   I wanted to thank for the copy of the Hemmings Motor News which you gave to John last week to bring to Germany.  Guenter told me that you are a vintage car enthusiast, too.  I have owned this 1927 Chrysler Model 52 Tourer for almost 20 years.  I bought the car in South Africa when I spent some time in Johannesburg on a work related project.  This kind of car is very scarce in Europe and it is almost impossible to find parts for it. Even in the States you have to be lucky to find parts.

Tks, Werner

What possessed this gentleman to ship this car from South Africa to Germany and then spend 20 years keeping it road worthy is something that I especially admire.  I think it is not about what color your generator is painted but about how much fun it is to drive & work on these great old rides. 

Respecting the era, the craftsmanship, the previous owners who saved the vehicle so that we can enjoy it today, is something that I think is a part of the heritage that the car brings to its current parking place.   

I think this is something that is sometimes forgotten in the critical car show evaluation check list.  The previous owners, their modifications, and their love for the vehicle is sometimes striped away to produce a factory perfect restoration.  Personally I love to see the scars, the wear, and the functionality that adds to the character of the car.

Cars in Museums are wonderful to look at, Cars on the road are an unbelievable joy to see & drive.

Chet...

Collect of Vehicular Lawn Ornaments.     http://1948plymouth.info