• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Leaking Wheel Cylinder Question

Started by racertb, November 21, 2017, 09:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

I had my wheel cylinders re-sleeved and brake shoes relined last year and things have been good.  I decided to mainly do this at the time since my right rear cylinder would occasionally leak and I would just put a new rebuild kit to fix it.  I did this a couple times over the years before having all wheel cylinders re-done last year.

I've taken the car to a few shows over the past few weeks and have driven it a lot.  When I looked in the garage the other day, I noticed some brake fluid on the floor and it was the right rear!  Coincidental?  Ironic?  I don't know...I replaced the rear boot/cap (where it would always leak) since it looked "swollen".  The new boot is more snug, but I think there could be another issue.

I find it strange that it's the same wheel as before I had all this done...is there anything else I should be looking at?  Rear brake shoe position?

For what it's worth, the company who did the work (Brake and Equipment Warehouse in Minnesota) said they would take care of it no problem if I wanted them to re-do it.

Thoughts?

Articifer Tom

The boots only keep dust and dirt out to minimize wear .The cup inside holds fluid back . You may have a corroded piston . These are aluminum and sometimes the cups do not seal around good enough if bad . I would send back , piston are not ready available , although heard maybe cross to some Chevy 1-1/4" stuff .

racertb

Thanks, I find it very ironic that it's the same issue as before it was rebuilt...I'm going to wait for my new outer axle seal to arrive, reinstall everything and bleed the brakes.  One more chance and then send back if needed.  I also have a couple other wheel cylinders that I may send to have rebuilt as well for future use if needed.

Ted

bobnroman

old cylinders can leak for several reasons      originally they were make of steel     brake fluid holds moisture so after years of sitting they rust-----you can hone out but you increase the size of the hole and rubber cups are less effective ------   apple hydraulics in NY   will resleeve the cylinder       I also had a problem with the surface of my casting was not smooth where the hose goes in    make sure to start with new brass washers and ANNEALE  them     I use the blue lock tight on mine between the washer and casting  fills in imperfections

racertb

Thanks...mine were all rebuilt and re-sleeved last year.  No leak present at the line in.

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member