• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Generator not generating

Started by frankp, October 08, 2015, 12:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankp

Last weekend my generator quit, according to dash ammeter.  After doing research, I decided it was the generator and not the relay (cut-out.)  Changed the relay to my used spare, still no charge.  Decided this was beyond my capabilities and tools.  No meter to read up 20a.  Took it to a shop on Tuesday and the generator ok, but relay bad.  He suggested replacing eltromagnet/points with a diode.  Done.  I'm now getting a constant 12a output, cold or hot.  Will see how this performs on the road.  In the process, I installed a new ground cable battery to frame.  Cleaned all terminals in charging system.  They were a little oxidized.  Yesterday, I cleaned all connections on the CLUM and brake switch.  I should probably do the same for all the lamp fixtures.  Too bad I can't get into the CLUM.  Now to get to my pesky carb, again.
frank p

imoore

So did you remove the cutout relay completely or put a diode in series with the relay.
I had trouble a while back where the gen decided to not regulate. Ended up being melted solders on the commutator. At the time it had one of those electronic voltage regulators. So I chucked that in the bin and went back to the third brush set up. All has been fine since.
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

frankp

Too bad your generator fried.  Were you able to identify the cause?  Glad that you are in good shape now.

The relay, from the outside, looks stock.  Under the cover is the diode with the winding and points completely removed.  The current value is still set by the position of the third brush.  I was not told of any modifications within the generator.  I understood there were none.
frank p

29UJohn

When I installed a diode in my generator it worked well for a while but eventually burned out.  I contacted James Peterson and he advise me to use a voltage regulator with the diode.  After I did that, no problems.  James makes the voltage regulators and installs diodes in the cutout box.
John
1929U 4 Dr