• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Headlight info needed

Started by Touring29, December 02, 2022, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

I have been helping the lady we bought the 29 from try to clean out her late husbands shop. I came across two depressed beam head light lenses, two reflectors, two bezels and one bucket. The lenses say 9 5/16 x 8 3/4. Could these have came off the 29 or be some he was trying to piece together to replace the ones on it now?

I have also acquired a steering column and wheel that is more complete than what we have now. It needs some work but the sector has no slack and its at least a start to get it a little more correct.

chetbrz

I am only sure for the 29 Plymouth U.  It's flat glass lens.

You cannot view this attachment.

Hopefully this is helpful,   Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

My 30-U has depress beam headlights.  The buckets look the same but they are painted not chromed.  Don't know what the lens size is and the car is 1200 miles away from where I am now so I can't check that.attach id=6288]D25CAAA6-5D2D-4499-88EA-80E9C79D609F.jpeg[/attach]

Touring29

Rusty I saw in the judging guidelines that the 30U had painted buckets and the 29U had chrome. Chet it looks like yours are 1/8" bigger than the ones I found and neither will fit in the buckets on our car. I was hoping that the ones I found came off of our car at some point but probably not. What had me hopeful is that every one I have looked at at swap meets have said Ford on them and they had 2 Model A's. The bucket I found didn't say Ford on it.

From what you guys say and what I have read I'm pretty sure our headlights came off something else. That really doesn't bother me a lot but those smooth lenses do. Who knows the correct ones or some lenses for ours may pop up. In the last month I have found the radiator grill and a semi complete steering column with a very good sector and a really sad wheel. My current project is making a puller to get the wheel off without damaging it further.

Articifer Tom

I found easiest to tap steel collar of wheel and use modern puller . Cracked first ones I did puller from fibre bottom .

Russ T. Fender

I am almost positive that the tear drop headlights you have on your car are not correct.  I think the shape of the headlamp you show in your post is correct at least in shape if not in size.  They are out there.  I saw a pair at Hershey last year that were better than the ones on my car but I passed them up as they were all chrome and I had just painted the shells on mine.  Big mistake in retrospect but certainly not the first one I've made.  The other issue is that cars with cowl lamps have a two contact set up while those without cowl lamps have the parking light integral with the headlamp and have a three contact set up.

Touring29

Now if could just find a matching bucket to the one in her shop and I could get them chromed. Who knows it might even be there somewhere. Todays project was to get the column I bought torn apart. I made a puller piece that completely circled the bottom of the wheel and connected to the bar on a two jaw puller. I then put a bolt in the center of the shaft to protect it. I put some pressure on it and tapped the puller. The wheel came off pretty easily. I have the rest of it apart and now I need a horn wire (this one is broke or cut of flush with the liner) and a lever for the light switch I don't have.

I'll just run down to Oreilles' and get the 18 year old to order me one  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

I have a spare bucket in Florida.  I'll check when I get down there after the New Year. It's painted but could be chromed if you can't find another one. Of course that assumes the 30-U bucket is the same as yours but I'm pretty sure they are.  Does anyone know for sure?

Touring29

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on December 05, 2022, 05:30:47 PMI have a spare bucket in Florida.  I'll check when I get down there after the New Year. It's painted but could be chromed if you can't find another one. Of course that assumes the 30-U bucket is the same as yours but I'm pretty sure they are.  Does anyone know for sure?

I don't have any idea what the one I found in his shop is I was just hoping it was for our car. I can get you better pictures and measurments next time I go over there and maybe you can compare. Thanks

Russ T. Fender

That would be good but I wish someone had the information we need to determine if the lamps are the same for both years with the exception of the chrome plating.  I have been searching for period photos to try and figure it out but they are few and far between and the few I have found don't show the headlights well. I will try to contact the new Plymouth Owners Club technical advisor who took over for Bob McMulkin and see if he can help.

Russ T. Fender

So far I have been able to find out that the shape of the bucket is the same as the 30-U but the lamps for '29 and '30 have different parts numbers.  I believe they have different part numbers because your lamps are chrome and mine are painted. In any event I think the single lamp you found is the right one for your car and it may also be that your lamp bucket is brass, not steel like the 30-U although either can be plated.  There may be a difference in the mounting too but from your picture I think the lamp you have looks to have the same mounting set up as my car.

Touring29

Next time I'm over there I'll get it and get some better pictures and measurements. I may even find the matching bucket over there somewhere but I have looked pretty hard with no luck. The lenses bezels reflectors and the one bucket were all together in a box with some other assorted junk so I am thinking that's all there is.  I would be happy if I could find a pair that were close to correct and mounted the same. If yours and this one match up we will try to work out a deal. The bulbs it has now are T1196 and although bright they have no low beam and don't fit the sockets that are in there right I have to keep tinkering with them to keep them working.

Russ T. Fender

The more I think about it, I might actually have two buckets down in Florida. It's been a long time since I last dealt with the headlights and my memory is not what it used to be.  In any event it would be a good idea if I had your dimensions and pictures so I can match them up against what I have.  I know all the reflectors need to be silvered ( even the ones I am using now ) and the wiring is toast and  I can't remember if the bezels are there or, if they are, what shape they are in.
I hope to be back in Florida no later than January 15 and will touch base with you then.

Touring29

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on December 14, 2022, 08:15:08 PMThe more I think about it, I might actually have two buckets down in Florida. It's been a long time since I last dealt with the headlights and my memory is not what it used to be.  In any event it would be a good idea if I had your dimensions and pictures so I can match them up against what I have.  I know all the reflectors need to be silvered ( even the ones I am using now ) and the wiring is toast and  I can't remember if the bezels are there or, if they are, what shape they are in.
I hope to be back in Florida no later than January 15 and will touch base with you then.
Great We might just work out something on all of it. Have you had any reflectors silvered? I have a friend that needs it done too. That's one thing that is really good on the lights on the car now the reflectors are really shiny but probably won't fit any other buckets.