• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Throttle & light switch levers

Started by Touring29, December 09, 2022, 12:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

I've seen several mentions on old threads that people were planning on making or at least trying to make something to replace broken levers. Did anyone have any luck? I need one for the light control tube . I have no switch but the lever is a start.

I also need to replace the horn wire. The old one is broke flush with the end of the horn cable assembly and won't budge. I am thinking about cutting it off the contact and trying to solder a piece of insulated wire to the contact. Has anyone tried this?

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Touring29

Thanks! My horn contact & wire is different than yours and I don't see how it worked. It has a bare wire inside a housing that looks like a miniature choke cable housing with a contact on the end. The contact has continuity to the housing so how was that supposed to work?

I hoped to just do away with the housing and use a insulated wire. I'm not sure if I can solder it to the old contact or if I'll have to do something else. It looks like you did something else.

Since I have no clum switch I hope to at least make the throttle & horn work. Of course I have no throttle linkage either so that will be another project. You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 

chetbrz

It doesn't look like anything there is stock parts.  Good luck with a solution. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

My 2 cents info -- When trying to replace the horn button wire I had to disconnect the light switch at the end of the steering column.  Disconnected the horn wire and cut the old one off where yours is anyway to pull it up through the steering post. the seat had to come out and the column unbolted from under dash and bolts from the the end of the column at the frame to allow it to drop down far enough to slide the tub out. One of my control levers was ok and one was broken off. I made a replacement from one half of a kitchen cabinet handle from Home Depot. Works and looks great I might say. Photo later. After a year or so later found a NOS lever pictured here. Not sure if for lights or the other one. May have to add photos of lever later have to resize photos first. 
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

29plycoop

To add a few photos of steering wheel lever.You cannot view this attachment.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Articifer Tom

You probably need an 8821 Clum switch . No idea what that wire is for you have , unless roadsters are way different . Normal is insulate wire up tube like Chet's . I have soldered to existing wire contact on mine . However it is like Chet's not yours .

Touring29

Sorry fellers I haven't been on here in a few days, I got busy with my other project. I do need the clum switch and have no idea where to find one. That lever made out of a cabinet handle is pure genius! The column I am messing with is one I bought from a fellow in Virginia. He said it came out of a 29 and looks the same as what's let of mine. My column has nothing left on it but a sector on one end and the wheel on the other. The wheel is off no telling what and the sector has a lot of slack and no adjustment left. The one I bought is tight but has one broken lever and no clum switch. The wheel that came with the column I bought needs some major repair and I don't have the skills to do it so its waiting for a solution.

The car is disabled right now because I had to send the master cylinder off to have it repaired. I put a kit in it but it still leaked so I sent it to White Post to have it sleeved.

Articifer Tom

Shoot some detail pics of it and post . I know Jay ( PRE 39 Chrysler ) had some switches at Hershey . Also may have all other tubes and levers .
 You cannot view this attachment.

Touring29

Quote from: Articifer Tom on February 01, 2023, 09:38:14 AMShoot some detail pics of it and post . I know Jay ( PRE 39 Chrysler ) had some switches at Hershey . Also may have all other tubes and levers .

This diagram looks like the column I have. You can even see the horn wire is not just a wire but has something around it. Maybe the one I have is later than 29. I'll get some more pictures and post them after while.

Articifer Tom

Best I can say is that shows the rubber cloth braided insulation . here pic of mine removed and new auto rated wire spliced to . Insulation rubber hardens and loses flex cause curls when turn till shorted out . You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 

Touring29

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Here are pictures of the column I found that is supposed to be a 29 model. I took a picture of the levers but its all blurry. I need the linkage that goes to the throttle and everything for the clum switch including the switch. I don't know what to do with the wheel but it looks a lot more correct than the thing that's on the car now.       

Articifer Tom

Here is more pics .
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 

Articifer Tom

Another You cannot view this attachment.

Touring29

Thanks for the pictures Tom. Now at least I know what I am looking for. I saved them