• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

an engine question...

Started by kimmc, February 21, 2013, 01:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimmc

I've taken my '29 engine (original) to a rebuilder.  I believe it to be in good condition (it still turns over easily), has about 60K miles on it, but hasn't been run since the 50's.  I was thinking about installing inserts until I read the two threads on this forum about babbitt vs. inserts.  Now I'm leaning towards staying with the babbitt.  And, maybe the babbitt bearings in it don't need replacement.  Anyhow, I'm looking for guidance from all of you with experience (or opinion) regarding rebuilding these early engines.  I just plan to drive mine occasionally just for the enjoyment; I'm not trying to build a show car or a daily driver.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks.  Kim

29plycoop

Kim - Last year had my engine rebuilt and went with his recommendation to stay with Babbett. He has been in the rebuild business many years and has rebuilt many of the vintage four cylinder engines.  He had to send it to Illinois (about 50 mi. away) then sent it back to him to finish the machine work. It turned out very well. The valves came from Egge Machine on line.The replacement valves were expensive as they were in short supply but all went well. They had the pistons also.  They also have just about everything else you need.  Good luck with your rebuild. - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

kimmc

Hi Rich.  I talked to the rebuilder today; I'm going to pick the engine up this afternoon and bring it home.  I can do the preliminary disassembly rather than pay for that.  And there are several "old timers" around my area that have offered to help me assess the engine, babbitts, block, head, valves, etc.  I will be more comfortable with the "go slow and let's check it out" approach.  Besides, I still like to learn from others with experience.  So, that is the new plan...open it up, check the condition of everything, and then decide what I need to do (and not do).  Thanks for the info in your post.  I will continue to post my progress with my engine.  Kim

Gary 30U

Kim, I think your really smart to go with the original babbits. I know a fellow here locally that had the inserts but in and before they were done he had a fortune in just the engine.

If it was me the less you have to mess with on the engine for just an occasional drive is just greatl.

Wishing you the best.

Gary R., Happy Motoring

kimmc

Yes, Gary.  This is what I am hearing and reading...stick with the babbitts.  I was nervous about doing something irreversible to the engine.  At this point I don't know if it even needs to be re-babbitted.  So I need to check that out first.  I picked up the engine this afternoon and it is tucked away in the shop.  Thanks for the reply.  Kim

kimmc

My '29 engine is back home...no work done to it.  I'll start on it myself with help from some friends.  I think we will be able to figure out what needs to be done.  I am hoping that everything is good.  It was last run in 1957.  But it been kept lubricated so it turns over freely.  Still, I have my fingers crossed.

frankp

I like your engine dolly.  Beats the heck out of the little red wagon I used and safer, too.

It will be interesting to hear what internals you decide to replace.  My 1st time, just the babbitt and the rings.  A 2nd time was required when a piston skirt disintegrated.

frank
frank p

kimmc

Hi Frank.  Yeah, I was looking around the internet for engine dollies; some you build and some you buy.  I wanted something cheap with casters; seems I'm always re-arranging things in the shop so I didn't want an engine on a stand I couldn't move.  I was going to build one but then looked at my plan and thought "I've seen those!"  At Harbor Freight they sell furniture dollies like the one in the picture for about $20.  I've got V8s and transmissions on them.  I've only had one that had some weak wood that I reinforced.  And you can't beat the price.  Thanks for the feedback.  Kim

29plycoop

Enjoy the engine project. Mine started out with a compression test and real quick found one cylinder much lower then all others.   It was a running engine before I started but after warming up it would smoke allot.  As it turned out that piston had a crack across the top along a manufacturing flaw.  All the cylinders were bored and new pistons installed during the rebuild.  (kept the old pistons if anyone may need one)  There may be a couple sets of new rings also if needed. The piston suppier furnished a set to match the pistons.  Seems as though once you start into checking things out it can be a slippry slop.  One thing leads to another,  but as long as it is apart, that the time to do it.  At least I have the piece of mind that it will go reliably for a long time. Good luck with your rebuild. Sounds like you have some good help to get it done. - Rich   
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

kimmc

Hi Rich.  I am hoping for the best when I get into the engine.  But that won't happen for at least 2+ weeks.  I don't want to get too many projects going at once.  That said however, I would like to make progress on several things at a time; while something may have to sit and wait for whatever reason, I'd like to still be making progress somewhere else.  I don't have forever to complete this adventure!  Thanks for the post.  Kim

Quote from: kimmc on February 23, 2013, 02:22:53 AM
My '29 engine is back home...no work done to it.  I'll start on it myself with help from some friends.  I think we will be able to figure out what needs to be done.  I am hoping that everything is good.  It was last run in 1957.  But it been kept lubricated so it turns over freely.  Still, I have my fingers crossed.
I am curious what are the cons people have experienced ( besides the cost ) with machining these engines for removable inserts, sounds like people are apposed to it but I am wondering for what reasons?
Jason Anderson

kimmc

Hi 1930.  I just searched "inserts" on this forum.  There are a couple of different threads of discussion about the pros and cons of converting the engine to inserts.  Generally, the consensus seemed to be to retain the babbitts for cars that will just be driven occasionally for pleasure.  At least that's what i got out it.  Check it out.

Jason Anderson

Dosent work for me, I type inserts in the search box and it shows me on page and all of those posts are found within this thread
Jason Anderson

SDGlenn

Hey 1930, I typed in rod bearings and got a list of what you want.  The best one think is (Engine Rebuild info on my 29 Ply "U"  by 29plycoop , in 2009 I think it was.) He broke it down to cost, etc.  \

later,
sdglenn
SDGlenn