• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

wiper

Started by Rusty, June 11, 2010, 09:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

How any one know of where a replacement windshield wiper could be found?  Also, I have a small switch (rotates open/close) on the botton of the dash on the driver side that allows vauccum up to the wiper.  The lines are all metal .  I can recall if they are steel/coppper or brass but look old.  Is this stock?  Was there  a hand crank on the wiper motor to allow hand operation.  Has any one taken their apart to look inside for repair issues.
rusty
Please note, I most like will not be driving in the rain but you never know.

chetbrz

Rusty,

I have the same vacuum on/off switch on my car also.  This is stock.  Plymouth didn't come with an inside manual option.  The small crank handle above on the driver's side is to raise and lower the windshield to provide air circulation.   My wiper doesn't work and I haven't attempted to take it apart yet.  I believe the tubing is steel.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

I do not have a handle.  I did not know that the windshield moves at all.  I will need to look at that this evening.  Interesting.
rusty

chetbrz

Quote from: Rusty on June 11, 2010, 02:29:31 PM
I do not have a handle.  I did not know that the windshield moves at all.  I will need to look at that this evening.  Interesting.
rusty

Rusty,

Your interior was redone so maybe they just paneled over the mechanism but the window opens about 2.5 inches to allow airflow into the cabin and across the windshield.

Notice Item 1.  The windshield crank handle:

Here is a picture from a post on this website.  Notice the handle up at the top:

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

Your are right.  I just thought that the metal shaft sticking out toward the driver was a knob to use the wiper.  It is a square shaft and I placed a wrench and turned it.  The window raised about 2 inches.  I thought that it needed a cowl vent as it had very poor air flow.  thanks.  Could you post a photo of what the crank looks like so I know what to look for.
Also, on this last photo you posted of a blue car with the doors open, is that where the rear foot mount is to be mounted?  If so, mine is flipped 180 degrees and mounted about 10 inch forward.  I lifted the rubber mat and found no other mounting holes but the wood boards look too new so I think that they have been replaced years ago.
thanks
rusty

Those are some great pict. posted, does anyone make a repro rubber floormat that is identical to original style shown in that picture above?
Jason Anderson

Gary 30U

Regarding the Wiper motor and switch (vacumn valve).

First - Be VERY CAREFUL with the vacumn control  it is pot metal and will break VERY EASILY.
I broke two before I figured out what I was doning. The is a fellow that makes repos, can find his name right now, but they are like $150.00 to match original.

Second - Contact Ficken Wiper Service (Trico), 132 Calvert Ave., West Babylon, NY 11704, 631-587-3332

or Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian Ave. #15, Redmond, OR 97756 541-923-4319

Kent just rebuilt mine on my 30 (an original motor) and it works perfectly. He even had the original triangular tag to go on it.

Apparently there are very few of the originals left that work - they are pot metal and become deformed. The originals had the front cover held on with two screws. The ones from the later models, I think the PA's and PB's - althought they looked the same - had the clip on front cover.

If you find a good motor they are worth whatever you have to pay.

Gary