• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Disassembly question

Started by Russ T. Fender, March 21, 2016, 06:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

I am restoring my 30-U  and am pulling the engine for a  rebuild.  To remove  the engine it looks like the bell housing needs to come off with  the engine as it does not look like the flywheel can be  removed while  the engine is attached to the bell housing.  Am I missing somethig or is that the way it has to  be done?  It looks like it might be possible to drop the rear of  the  engine and lift the front  so the flywheel drops down and out of the bell housing but  before I try that I was wondering if anyone has removed the engine that way.  Sure would be nice if there was a shop manual to work with.

frankp

First, mine is a 29U, but believe quite similar to 30-U on the back end.  Removed the engine with bell housing attached, minus the transmission and master cylinder.

Good luck with your rebuild.
frank
frank p

Russ T. Fender

Thanks Frank I think the cars are very similar if not identical in that area.  After I posted the question I decided to support  the back of the block, unbolt the block from the bell housing and then I unbolted the bell housing from the frame and lifted it up and over the flywheel.  Either way is a bit of a chore.  Thoughout the process I kept thinking that replacing the ring gear on one of these cars was no picnic. 

Crazydave

I have a motor and assembly laying on the floor of the garage I can take some pictures if that will help.