• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

anyone know anything about Klaxon horns?

Started by 29 doUg, April 24, 2009, 12:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29 doUg

I have a 1920s vintage Klaxon my dad got as a kid that I am refurbishing for my Plymouth (I dont like the single note "beep" horn that came with the car). I am just wondering what make and model this horn is. If anyone knows about these, I will post some pics. Its a big thing measuring about thirteen inches long.

29 doUg

I found out from pop that his cousin pulled from a '23 Olds so my guess is that its a Delco-Remy.

chetbrz

Klaxon.., Was a horn manufacture from New Jersey.  Also known as or for "Economy".  Used in many cars of the day and after market replacements.

Reference Chilton Automobile Directory April 1924

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29 doUg

I found in the '28-35 Plymouth Parts Manual that the '28-29s used a Klaxon 12C. It looks very similiar to the one I refurbished so I mounted and it fit perfect. Turns out I had a period aftermarket non-Klaxon horn in there that had a wimpy beep.

I know that Klaxon was THE manufacturer, but pop said any horn that had the distinct "aaa-OOOO-ga" was called a klaxon also. Probably a dozen or more horn makers made the klaxon (sounding) horn.

Those horns were pretty pricey judging by the Chilton's the Chet posted.