• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Starting Procedures - How do you start your car?

Started by racertb, March 27, 2013, 12:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Just curious on how you start your old Plymouth when it's cold...what is your "procedure" that works best for you?  I got this thought after watching some You Tube videos and came across videos about " How to start your Model A".  So, tell me how you do it since I may learn something here as I always do...

For me, I turn the engine over a few times by pushing the starter button (with the ignition off) to get the oil somewhat circulated.  Then I turn on the key which gets my fuel pump running and then tap the gas pedal a few times, with my left foot on the gas and right foot over the starter.

As I then push on the starter with my right foot (left foot over/on the gas), the advance is all the way in (different than what the Model A owners say - retard the spark until car is started for both electric and crank starting) and the choke is half way out.  As the car is turning over and attempting to start, I then start pushing the choke in until it starts (this is assuming my battery has a good charge!).  Once started, I get the idle smoothed out by playing with the choke (if needed) and eventually pushing the choke all the way in.  I let the car idle a few minutes before heading on my way...

Now it's your turn to share...like I said above, I may learn something here so let me know!

Ted

imoore

For me i have the spark control all the way in. Turn ign on to let carbie fill on fuel. Pump 1-2 pumps of accelerator depends how lucky i feel. The push starter button. Let engine idle for a while, keeping an eye on oil pressure. I use no choke. I then let it warm up for a couple of min before driving

I follow same principle when hand starting accept spark control all all way out.
Ian.
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

SDGlenn

Ted, on my 29 Coupe?  I turn on the ignition, pull out the retard knob, pull out the choke, crank for about 3-4 seconds and it is always running.  Then push in the retard and choke as required to keep it running, for a little bit.  Being I don't have a heater I have never tried to start it after the snow flys.
take care
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

racertb

Thanks, guys...SDGlenn, your way (which I might try) seems the same way as in the Model A videos...

Ian - your and my way appear the same except you use no choke...interesting.

Anyone else?

Doug

I start like Glen except I turn the gas on first at the vacuum tank. Always shut it off when not in use, seams to hold the gas in there for quiet some time.

frankp

1.  Turn on fuel at vac tank, like Doug.
2.  Choke to the max.
3.  Use electric starter and adjust idle speed with choke.  I try to reduce choke as soon as possible and use hand throttle until warm.

I have never used spark advance, maybe it is not set correctly.  I gave up hand cranking years ago when my nose came too close to the radiator cap; on an incline and was pitched forward a bit.

One characteristic of this engine is the compression appears to be very high when it is about to fire.  That is, it cranks very slowly.  Anyone else experience this?

frank

frank p

chetbrz

My two cents on starting the old Plymouth. 

If the spark control is setup properly and pulled out to the start position then the cylinder will fire just after TDC.  This is done to eliminate the chance for reverse kick when cranking the engine with the hand crank.  With the spark control all the way in at run position the cylinder will fire just before TDC.  It's amazing how slow that engine will run with the spark control set to fire after TDC, but very easy to start.

- Like most..,  I generally leave the spark control set in the running position.
- Pull the choke
- Set the throttle at half open
- Fire it up.

As soon as it fires I adjust the choke and throttle accordingly.  For a hot engine I just hit the starter.
I don't pump the throttle because in my case the updraft carb has little in the way of an acceleration pump.  So pumping in my case is a moot point.  The choke closed or half closed will bring up more gas then pumping the throttle.

My 2 cents.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

Hi Guys !
           In the case of starting my 30U full choker pump pedal three or four times advance all in ,turn on ignition ,1/4 gas pedal as soon as it fires choke back to 5%  until warm !
Just won't use crank handle if battery is flat charge it ,if I can't charge it tow it , if I can't tow start it It stays home! LOL  (always starts )
Pretty much use same for 34 as well.
Cheers Tony.

racertb

racertb

I forgot to mention that the reason I like to circulate the oil a little (with ignition key off) prior to me starting the car is because if I don't, the car knocks until the oil pressure comes up, which could be a few seconds.  Circulating it first helps with that, although it still knocks a little (1-2 sec) before the pressure comes up.  If I don't circulate at all, she'll knock for 3-5 seconds before pressure comes up...sounds terrible and I worry about possible damage.  Maybe this is somewhat normal for these cars?  Again, this is regarding cold starts.  Warm starts, she fires right up, no choke, etc.