• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Rust treatment that works - Fertan

Started by westaus29, December 06, 2011, 09:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westaus29

Even after youve cut out all the rust from your panels and replaced it with new metal, there will still be areas you couldnt get to, such as the rolled joint on the front mudguards, folded edges of door panels, back side of welds, rivetted chassis joints, etc.
In 20 years of restoring Plymouths, by far the best product Ive used to provide a stable base for painting is Fertan, a brown sweet smelling liquid that stains fingers permanently black, contains tannins, zinc and phosphate, and stabilises rust. The treated surface will stay rust-free for months, but my advice is to rinse off as recommended then put a moisture resistant layer of paint on it, not just a primer, as soon as practical. My 29 Tourer has been painted for over 10 yrs, is used in all weather and shows no sign of rust in treated areas. It was a basket case when I started. Fertan is widely used by car restorers in Aus and UK, not sure how readily available in USA.
There is some info on www.fertanamerica.com. It isnt cheap (about $50/litre in Aus) so needs to be applied sparingly by small brush, dont end up with half of it on the floor or yourself. It penetrates really well, can be diluted with water if hot weather causes it to dry too quick or you need extra penetration, and needs 24-48 hrs to complete reaction.
It appears you can order thru the USA website, would be interested in knowing if current, prices look cheaper than Aus. In Australia it is made by Chemtech and used to be available at Repco but no more. Chemtech says it is available at Bursons and Mitre10 in Vic, and Coventrys and Mitre10 in WA. It is also advertised by Whitworths Marine. I usually buy 500ml and it lasts several years.

Jim

Tinkeys

Thank you for the reminder ! I tend to forget easily .
Enjoyed your visit to my place and your lovley wife who is also mad about cars ! Good to see!
Extremely happy with brake resivoir ( not on car yet )
Cheers Tony Seychell .