• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1934 dodge

Started by Tinkeys, December 27, 2011, 04:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkeys

another pic ! Took 3 hrs to do top line around car and still got to do bottom line .

kimmc

chetbrz

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

Hi all !
Filled up 34 to go to club meeting on Friday night and found petrol slowly dripping on floor of my garage ! Had to drain fuel tank , and first chance I get will have to pressure test and plug leak, yep ! There's always something to do !

Tinkeys

Well it turns out solder joint on filler neck is cracked !also looks like previous owner has put some sort of red red epoxy type sealer in tank !

Tinkeys

I succesfully repaired tank leak with a 300w electric solder iron  today , without blowing myself up !  I suppose thats a good thing ,dont really want to be an astronaught !

Tinkeys

Well boys !!
It's finally back in the car the tank is like new , I am using this opertunity to install a pusher pump to stop problem of no fuel in hot weather after stopping for a short break ! The last trip in hot weather was good until, a short stop was required .The original fuel pump when it gets heat soak after stopping for 5 to 30min. Will not pump fuel until it cools sufficiently so that gas is not vaporizing in glass bowl.
An electric pusher pump will fix this.
Cheers Tony

frankp

Tony,

Good for you.  Nothing like taking care of several problems while everything apart.

Your pin striping is wonderful.  Do you use tape to keep it straight or a steady hand?

frank
frank p

Tinkeys

I use a guide a wheel and a not so steady hand , the 3 combinations gave the end result , and I do need more practice .
Cheers Tony.

SDGlenn

You are doing great Tony. I used to watch my Dad use the guide wheel stripper, I have never tried it myself. Is it pretty easy to use? My Dad was a professional body and paint man, one of the best around in the 50's and 60's, they used a lot of "leading" back then also, hardly ever see that anymore. Did you learn some of your skills from your parent? You are pretty good yourself.
Take care of you
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Tinkeys

It's like anything Glen ! Practice makes perfect ,and I am no means perfect .
Just read info on how to do things that interest me , it took 3 hrs to do 1 line around car because I kept mucking it up , persistence eventually pays of and I still need more persistence .
I have acquired another motor for 34 , it's not an original  but, I have an original in shed , I am going to make it more user friendly to our modern fuels  and keeping car to factory specs except motor and overdrive gear box which are still flat head Chrysler units and are interchanged by bolting so that car is always able to be put back to 100% standard , I am doing this because I want to use the car as much as possible and I like a challenge .
Cheers Tony

Tinkeys

Today pickup castings from a foundry 20min from where I live , I had 1934 bumper over-rider made out of bronze , I was lucky enough to borrow 1 original to copy it !
They now have to be sanded and filed and polished then chromed lot of work but it's worth the end result especially when you just can't find them.
Will post pics later.
Cheers Tony

Tinkeys

Hi All !
        Finally found some more time to do pinstriping think this is the last off stipes.

Tinkeys

Tinkeys

I also had a go at making a heat shield for brake master cylinder , being right hand drive in summer time master was getting very hot !