• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Barn Find Redux

Started by frankp, October 27, 2013, 09:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankp

Hi folks,

You may remember my post of an original 29U here in MN.  The new owner contacted me last week and I weaseled a visit yesterday.  Originality is very impressive.  I encouraged the owner to join this forum and he said I may post a few pictures in the mean time.

Regarding that "home made trunk" - couldn't have been more wrong!!  I let the 2x4 support cloud my brain.

This trunk is a KARI-KEEN made in Sioux City, IA.  Note how it was painted and striped to match the car.

I think I'll have a Sunday drive.

frank
frank p

frankp

ok now, let's try this one
frank p

chetbrz

Really cool Frank,   Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Chet,

I think so, too.  It appears the spare tire can be placed in side as the bottom is not fully enclosed.  An advertisement shows it unlatched and folded down to hold milk cans, groceries, packages or whatever fits.

Another item was the hand crank.  It was long enough to extend through the slats in the bumper.  There was a metal guide attached to the bumper to prevent any damage.
No pics of these.

frank
frank p

Old Man

Neat. I have several ads somewhere in different mags for KARI-KEEN trunks. I've never seen one in the flesh before.

racertb

aussieQ

Hi Frank,

Very interesting. I couldn't work out how it operated, so I googled it. Came up with some very interesting pictures on how it works. Seems it sort of folds down to a small pickup bed. I haven't seen anything like it here in OZ, but there are probably a few around.

Gary S

chetbrz

Quote from: frankp on October 28, 2013, 11:05:39 AM
Chet,

I think so, too.  It appears the spare tire can be placed in side as the bottom is not fully enclosed.  An advertisement shows it unlatched and folded down to hold milk cans, groceries, packages or whatever fits.

Another item was the hand crank.  It was long enough to extend through the slats in the bumper.  There was a metal guide attached to the bumper to prevent any damage.
No pics of these.

frank

Frank,

I believe the long crank is the proper crank to start the car.  I think the short cranks that we have were used to turn the motor while doing service ?  I don't remember who told me this but that's what I recall.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Gary S,

Google showed me to fordbarn forum, but I didn't request membership.  There appear to be quite a few pictures on one thread.  Some wrote these trunks were plentiful in parts of plains states around Iowa.

Chet,

You may be right.  I seem to remember only a single P/N for crank in Parts book, though.  I would check my book, but I loaned it and a manual to the new owner.

frank
frank p

Crazydave

Started getting some pictures uploaded. Here are a few of the crank you guys speak of.