• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Rear axle bearing

Started by Rusty, March 03, 2018, 04:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I remove the wheel today to fix a flat..  Found that I have 4 loose spokes, gear oil is on the inside of the drum.  It looks like there is grease mixed gear oil.  There looks like a outer seal , grease seal.  Is there a inner oil seal?  Or does the wheel bearing ride in oil?  Where would I look for such seals?  Brake shoes are light coated in a grease/oil goo.  Never a easy simple job!

Crazydave

I recall just packing the axle bearings with grease and there being a felt inner seal to hold the gear lube back. See pictures below.

These are my local guys that can seemingly find any bearing or seal if it exists. https://www.cutter-sales.com/ Not sure where you are located. 

Rusty

I think the inner felt seal is bad. How hard was it to pull the axle shaft? It looks like my outer seal has been replaced.

Rusty

I live South Dakota.  I make trips to the twin cities a few times a year.  I will need to pull the seals and take them on my next trip. 

Rusty

Did you replace the bearings and races?  How hard was it to pull the races?

Crazydave

Yes, I had to replace the drivers side. When I got the car the outer bearing was toast, literally jacked it up and was able to pull the axle out with one hand. I used a slide hammer to pull the inner race out, outside one was gone. There were a few shims behind it. The seal you are after is called the "axle drive shaft oil washer assembly" Page 3-1 call out 26 group 3-F Part numbers 43049 & 600475 in the Plymouth Master Parts List. I had to have a machine shop press the new bearing on the axle. I pounded the new races in the axles tubes with a piece a wood I cut to fit. (precise I know) Slammed it back together until it felt and looked good.

Old one.

Shims

Bearing Part numbers

Carson

the rear axle has an oil seal and a grease seal.the grease seal is available but not the oil seal.  I used a National Seal #204027.this seal is slightly oversize so I had a friend take .021 off the seal and it fit nice. I bought the seal from Motion Industries.  Hope this of some value.  regards Carson

29plycoop

Thanks for the replacment seal info. Another trick for the books.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Rusty

I have a question crazydave, what did you do for the shims?  Those look in bad shape.

Crazydave

Quote from: Rusty on March 07, 2018, 01:15:12 AM
I have a question crazydave, what did you do for the shims?  Those look in bad shape.

I think I put them back in (didn't try and find replacements) Couldn't imagine how they would make much of a difference, they are extremely thin. And since I had no way to check depth I didn't get too concerned about. Maybe someone knows the proper method.

Sometimes I just stop and think, how would the owner have made the repair back in the 30's? Then assume I'm doing it as well or better  :)