• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

I need some advise...

Started by kimmc, September 20, 2012, 01:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimmc

I am getting ready to pull the engine from my '29U.  Will it come out easily without removing the steering column and box?  I want to keep the steering in for now so I can move the car around.  Thanks for your help.  Kim Mc

imoore

I have never removed the engine yet but it may be possible to twist the engine past the steering box. You would have to remove the gearbox first.

Just a suggestion

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

frankp

Kim,  I don't recall removing steering column, but always removed radiator.  As Ian suggested, I always removed the tranny also.  Once you have the clutch pedal off, it's all downhill.  Good luck!  frank
frank p

kimmc

Thanks Ian and Frank.  I've got the radiator out and nearly everything else off or disconnected.  The driveshaft is off and the tranny unbolted but not out yet.  Still have the pedals and master cylinder to remove.  I was hoping I could do what Ian suggested and just lift and twist the engine so the left rear motor mount clears the steering column and box.  I will let you know how the rest of this adventure turns out.  Thanks again guys.  Kim Mc

kimmc

Hey Ian and Frank.  Well, today I disconnected every thing else, including the clutch and brake pedals.  The clutch pedal would not come off the shaft because apparently some pinhead had beat on the end of it making it sort of like a mushroom.  I had to work at it with a mill bastard file (which pretty much describes the job too) for about an hour before I could slide the pedals off the shaft.  All that remains to unbolt are the the front and rear motor mounts....and I have to drop the transmission which I can not get to move at all.  I thought it would be easy since the tranny is about the size of a cantaloupe!  But it won't budge.  I'm going to have to do some reading and research to see if I am missing something.  The wife is off with her girl friends for the weekend so I can work on the car without any "honey do's" getting in the way of my "fun"!  Hope to have both the engine and trans out this weekend.  Will keep you posted and will post some pics too.  Thanks again for responding.  Kim Mc

kimmc

Hi Ian and Frank.  Well, the tranny is out; bit of a fight but the good guys won.  Tomorrow the engine comes out.  Then I'll start the project of degreasing and cleaning all the parts and chassis.  Should be able to get the engine to the mechanic/rebuilder this week.  This big stuff goes fast...I'm dreading the body work.  Pics attached.

imoore

Good to see you are making progress. The looks like a nice project. You will have to keep us posted on the restoration. If you need any info help just ask.

What you getting done to engine?

Ian

kimmc

Hi Ian.  Going to try this again.  I wrote a long response with attachments yesterday with attachments.  But because the attachments exceeded 1000KB I tried to delete one and ended up deleting the entire reply.  I just had to walk away for a while.  So I am trying again today.  The engine is out!  Managed it by myself and did just what you suggested.  I lifted the front of the engine higher than the bell housing end and just brought out the right side first then was able to move the left rear motor mount around the steering column and box.  I will probably remove the steering column at some point anyhow so I will re-install the engine with that out of the way.  I don't want to accidentally damage the Clum switch at the bottom of the column.  I am going to have the engine completely gone through and will have done whatever it needs done.  I was the last one to drive the car when I was 14 back in 1957!  So, it's been waiting in storage all these years for me.  It was originally purchased by my great grandfather and was given by my grandparents to me.  I plan to return it to as near its original condition as I can get.   Have to run.  Will keep you posted on my progress.  Thanks again.  Kim Mc 

Doug

It's a little late. But is you had taken the shift tower off and the hand brake. The transmission would have came out with the engine. Just saves all that working under the car.

chetbrz

Nice project and a really nice car to work with.  From what I can see the body work should be a breeze.   Great Job !!!  Sorry you had issues with the picture posting.   

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

kimmc

Hey guys.  I thought about removing the hand brake and shift tower but there was about 1/2 inch of dirt and grease on everything so I just decided to drop the trans and deal with the gunk after it was out.  It wasn't a bad job.  Just had to find the right swear word to get the trans unstuck from the bell housing!  :)  The engine has been degreased and it's loaded in the back of my truck (pic attached) on it's way to the mechanic in about an hour.  Yahoo!  Thanks for your interest and help.  I will continue to post my progress.  And I'm sure I will need further help from those with more experience.  Thanks.  Kim Mc

imoore

Well done. It might be an idea to check the engine mounts. The front one in particular.

kimmc

Picture attached.  What do you think....should I replace it? ;D

imoore

Nice, looks like mine before i replaced it

Ian

SDGlenn

I think if you get some good e-poxy, and are real careful putting it together in the position it was in originally then get some bailing wire and  wrap around it, pull the bailing wire real tight so you can get a good grip on it and throw it in the next slough you come to, you might be better off. ;)
SD Glenn
SDGlenn