• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Rear oil seal transmission 1931 PA

Started by PatrickSmith, April 28, 2014, 09:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickSmith

I just completed rebuilding from the block back on my 31 PA. Pulled the bell housing and installed a new bushing at the clutch fork, NOS pressure plate, clutch plate, throwout bearing, media blasted everything, and painted everything. Along the way I did replace the rear engine seal with a modern neoprene seal.
Previously I rebuilt the rear pinion seal and media blasted the drive shaft.
Looking below she looks like a new car.
Now for the question:
I took her out for a test drive and the both the engine seal and rear seal are tight, no leaks. I did find gear oil leaking from the rear of the transmission just before the parking brake housing. I'm aware an oil seal exist at the rear of the transmission but am asking for some info on how to get to it?
Does anyone have experience with this seal? Do I need to pull the transmission, parking brake housing, or can the work be done with the floor boards removed and the car on jacks? The books I have on her simply say rear oil seal with no direction for remove and replace.
Thank you, Patrick

Old Man

Unfortuntely it's not a split seal so yes you would have to remove the tranny or at least drop the drive shaft and parking brake. Any I've seen on my old stuff, the seal was inside a cover/housing that was on the outside of the tranny after the output shaft ball bearing. 

Roland

I haven’t done it yet, but as far as I know, it’s only necessary to drop the Driveshaft and remove the Hand Brake Drum(82), now you should have access to the “Free wheeling drive shaft bearing oil seal assembly”(87). The Oil seal should be a SKF 17386 - CRW1R (I’m not 100% sure but I read it somewhere)

PatrickSmith

Thanks for the information. I believe your correct. I removed the hand brake assembly last night and unbolted the drive shaft. I found the castle nut but my largest socket is 1-1/4" which is to small for this nut. Today I will get a 1-5/16" which I think should do the trick. As long as the drum is not rusted to the spline it should pull out and allow me access to this seal. I did order the SKF seal you referenced yesterday via ebay ($20) so we will see if its the correct seal. A member on another forum called out this same reference so maybe I will get lucky! If not it should not be to hard to find a replacement seal. Im taking some pictures as I go along for future reference if this comes up again.

Thank you,
Patrick

Roland

Hi Patrick,
how is it going, have you already changed the seal?
Was it the correct seal??

PatrickSmith

Sorry for the delay. Vacation with the wife took time away from my project! I did get it done. It was actually fairly simple. Pulled the drive shaft, removed the parking brake drum, and the seal was attached with three bolts. I found the shaft on the brake drum inside had pitted very bad over time. After media blasting all parts I machined the shaft, installed a speedie sleeve and a new modern seal. Reassembled and its as good as new! Here are a few pictures for future reference: