• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

New to forum, with a 1928 plymouth tourer

Started by imoore, May 22, 2012, 05:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrench29

Chet, you and the forum guys have been so GOOD to me that I will give you  anything I have left when the project is over.  The info you all share has been invaluable. Also, you all keep me excited about this!!
I LOVE this car!

imoore

i have just finished my wiring loom. every works. Just need to select the right indicators that match the car and its complete. I also figured out how the windsceen comes apart, made a template to get a new one cut.
Have to remove the fuel tank again as it has desided to leak :(.
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

imoore

The car is getting very close to being on the road... just finished fitting the indicators and also the shackles. All that left is windscreen, tyres and some wood work for the back. What sort of material should i use to make framework for the rear. 
Cant wait to take her out for the first trip.

imoore

well my car has now passed for club permit, just gotta pay registration.
I can't believe how good these headlights are considering they are original and only 6v. But i did fit 35/35w halogens.

Cant wait for the first drive, which will hopefully be to work if it stops raining. So looking forward to it.....

aussieQ

Hi Ian,

Congratulations on getting the Tourer road ready. Have you paid the registration yet? Looking forward to seeing it on the road.

Happy motoring!

Gary

imoore

Hey Gary,
Yeh the car is officialy on the road. Took her for a drive today. All went well apart from her stalling as i was merging on to frankston dandy road. Tomorrow i am going to take her to doveton to see a mate.

She drives very well.

Look farward to takin on a club run soon.

Ian

Tinkeys

Hi Ian !
Congrats with getting on road !
Now you know the fun I am having now ! We will all have to meet somtime in Melboune with our cars and have a get together .
Cheers Tony.

imoore

Thanks tony,
Sounds like a great idea for a catchup.

Tried to take her to doveton today, but failed. We were traveling along nicely, but just we increased my speed to 70kmh things started going wrong. She started to loose power and back fire through carby, Pulled over engine died. A club member saw use and came to our help and gave me a few ideas, also offered to follow me home incase. we did a u-turn and traveled a few meters and she did it again. A few more tweeking, also noticed that the gasket between carby and exhaust manifold has blown. We managed to tug it home, but just as we were round the corner she stoped, dead. Out we hoped and pushed her home.

We increased the float level and made a new gasket. Out we went for take 2. All drove well untill we increase the speed to 70kmh, and it did it all again. back home we went atleast she ran all the way home.

It seems that when we do 50-60kmh everythings fine. only untill we do 70 that she playes up.
2 things come to mind: Lean mixture or ign timing.
Any ideas?

How to you check ignition timing as there is no markings on crank?

I have a week to fix the issue as i would like to take her on a club run to mornington.   

imoore

Ok well i just went out and started fresh. found the ignition timing to be retarded.
Have taken her for a drive. A completely different car. Going to take her to work tomorrow.

Ian

Tinkeys

Hi Ian !
Also check distributor shaft for side play ! I had a similar problem with 30u miss firing and  back fire as shaft was to far worn .

imoore

I do believe the distributer shaft is worn as at idle she has a random misfire. Did you get yours fixed. if so where.

I drove the ply to work today. no problems at all. Was actually a smooth drive, even no traffic. Starting to get used to double clutching down to 2nd. Engine was running cool, oil pressure was steady. Just gotta get used to it following little tracks in the road.
Come on Sunday. But first a quick test on sat.

Ian

imoore

Took the ply for a drive today. Took her half hour down the road. Sat on 60Kmp most the way. Everything went well. Excpet i think the oil that i have used in gearbox maybe too thin. As on the way home it was hard to select gears. Didnt matter how slow i changed.
Tomorrow going to take her to mornington on her first club outing.

imoore

Today drove the ply for its first club vehicle run..
She ran beautifully. Had another issue this time. The electric wiper motor formed a dead short and was pulling 25amp discharge. This caused melting wires and smoke. A quick disconnect of the wiper fixed the problem and back on the road again. We sat steadily on 35mph the whole way. I have worked out the speedo is about 10mph fast.

Engine sounded strong except for piston rattle under load. I am surprised how little of oil she used. According to the dipstick she only used about 2mm of oil for a 40mile return drive.   

chetbrz

I had a similar issue with wires burning up, an although not original, I installed a small modern fuse block.  Works will to protect the wires you have.

Nice being on the road.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Doug

That is a great car. Like Chet says. Use fuses, A lot of my repair work on customers stuff if from electrical stuff being wire with no fuse or the fuse not being installed properly.