• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

rear main seal replacement

Started by Rusty, January 30, 2010, 06:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Am I correct that the rear main seal is on the outside of the rear main bearing ?  I was not the one who removed the crank, machine shop was.  It appears that the oil flows over the bearing and is collected and drain down thru the lower bearing housing into the pan.  A seal is bolted on the outside of the block (upper) and the outside of the lower bearing .  Mine appears to me made of cork. I got a best gasket set that has a classic rope seal that would work in a "normal" that had a rope seal but not this one.   I had bearings repoured so I would like to have to redue the machining to use a rubber seal.
thanks rusty

Rusty

The rear seal is a two piece that bolts to the block and the rear main.  It was felt (mine was,????orginial) and 1/4 inch thick by 3 5/8 outdiameter and 3 1/8 inch inner diameter.  I ordered from a felt seal wharehouse that had dies to cut out/stamp out that size. 
rusty

29UJohn

Can you provide the felt warehouse name, address, web-site?

I have one engine that had a cork gasket.  Then and Now Automotive has replacement cork, but I chose to try a rope seal.

I have another engine that has been modifed to use the Dodge/Plymouth slit steel/Nitrile seal.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Rusty

southeastern felt and supply
po box 1368
2870 armentrout drive
concord, NC 28026-1368

704  782  7952

min order is 50 bucks for 5.  I will sell the last 3 for 10 a pop.  I want to keep one as a spare.
rusty

Rusty

I wrote the wrong measurements, it should be 2 1/8 and 2 5/8inches.  It turns out that a easier method is just to get 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch felt that is about 6-8 inches long and just wrap that around the crank and then bolt on the metal plate/seal holder.  Just cut to fit so that the ends are "tight".   The orginial bolts are just a touch long that makes installing the plate/seal very difficult with the crank installed.  I got 1/4x20 bolts that were a little shorter and not a problem.
rusty