• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Under seat storage??

Started by Gary, May 19, 2008, 08:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Hello All
I had my rear seat out over the weekend and it looks like there is a couple indentions that looks like there should be tools or something mounted under there any one have any ideas ???????????

Gary...............

chetbrz

Gary,

You are probably correct in your first assumption.  It might be that this was a storage place for the jack, crank, and a common tool set.   I have noticed this compartment while under my car.  I can't access the compartment because someone replaced the floor and boarded over this area.  Hay wouldn't it be great to open that floor up and find a bunch of money left over from a late thirties Bank Robbery.    Oh well I can dream... can't I.  Most likely nothing there but a pile of rust.

I definitely have to get to a National Plymouth meet and see what one of these cars looks like based on a factory correct restoration.  There was one 29 Plymouth at Hershey last year and I just didn't have the time to find it.  Mostly looking for parts and I only had an afternoon.  This October I plan to spend at least two full days walking the fields.

I would love to see what it looks like under your rear seat.  If you ever have the camera out I would appreciate a photo.

Tks, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary

Hey Chet..............
  Money would be a good find..........then you could dump it into that from which it came......I only found a 6 year old registration and a business card from an electrician in Wisconsin.
   Any how here are a couple shots of the rear floor............
                                                                                               Gary......

29UJohn

I have stored my 29U car's tools there under the rear seat for years - air pump, jack, wrenches, etc. 
John
1929U 4 Dr

Old Plymouths

The factory jack and tool bag did indeed go under the rear seat. It went on like that for many years. The list was ,wheel wrench,auto jack,auto jack handle,starting crank,pliers,screwdriver,hammer,auto wrench?,spark plug wrench and high pressure lubricant (grease) gun.

mopardave

My '28 has a tool box mounted on the running board.  I have most of the original tools......I never looked under the seat.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Old Plymouths

They had an awful time with theft of sidemount tires and rear mounted trunks in the first days of automotive history. People used to go out in the morning to find both side mount tires/rims gone and the trunk pilffered. The manufacturers didn't put the spare in under a metal lid ,along with the suitcases ,for convenience,they did it to stop the rampant theft. Tires were forever blowing out and with the Depression in full tilt, somebody else's sidemount was the  cheapest way,and possiblythe only way,to fix the flat. Your tool box contents on the running board would not have lasted long in the big towns or cities.   

Satillite70

I found nothing under my rear seat, but dust and dirt, seeds and a few dead bugs.  I do have the crank, and something else I don't know what it is...3 moveable arms, one on a worm gear that pulls, all have an odsd shaped hook on the end, possibly to pull the rim off the tire?  That's about it for tools that came with mine when I bought it.  The front edge from the floor up [about 3-4" I would estimate] was covered with smooth black vinyl.  As with the rest of the upholestery this has to be replaced.  I also was missing the front kick panels, but have made a pair after taking a few measurements.  I will cover them with velver to match the doors.  I noted black vinyl in the small area between the dash and the front door edge.

chetbrz

Chris,

It sounds like you found a Split Rim Tool.

Your car is looking Great !!  Keep up the good work,

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Satillite70

Yes It is a split rim tool, and it works great!  I used it the other night to replace the tube in the only tire that was flat.

Chris