• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Brake lights

Started by imoore, April 22, 2013, 04:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imoore

The last time i drove the Q i realised that the brake light don't light up until i slam on the anchors. I only lightly use the brakes. So under normal braking my light does not work. its only until i do an emergency stop that it worked.
So today i fitted a off-on stop switch of a modern vehicle. It took about half hour to install and cost me a whole 10 bucks. Now the light works with small pedal movement.
I did fit a new low pressure switch but it just doesn't seem to be low enough.
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

29plycoop

Brake systems have a bad habit when not being driven on a regular basis to collect moisture and corrosion. The problem could to be with the stop light switch if it will work when high pressure is applied. If dirt has accumulated in the orifice to the pressure switch it could have the problem you mentioned. The first move would be to remove, clean and reinstall the master cylinder if it has not been serviced in a while. A quick test first might be to remove the switch and push a wire in the orifice, reinstall the switch and see if the lights work better.  Good luck with a fix. - Rich  
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.