• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Body number?

Started by ski, August 27, 2007, 12:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ski

My 29 plymouth coupe is titled and registered under it's engine number.  I believe this to be incorrect but that's how it was and when I transfered title the DMV told me I could get it changed but it would be a bunch of paperwork so at the time I declined until I could do more research.  I have paperwork going back over 30 years with the engine number on titles and registrations.   The body number that is attached to the wood floor is 322-23704.  The engine number is U108771.  Are either of these the correct number to ID the car or should I look on the frame somewhere like on my old Dodge truck to find the correct VIN?  The main reason it's a concern is that none of the insurance companys I've talked to can identify the type car from those numbers and I'd like to insure it before my first test drive.

Thanks,
Sean

chetbrz

The actual manufacturing number is in the center of the dashboard in the oval Medallion.  There is a FedCo system VIN number. 

See the link to Tod Fitch's website, which explains VIN numbers:

http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin

I don't understand what the insurance company is requesting.  A title and a visual inspection should be all they need.  Actually for liability only GICO insured my 29 sight on seen for $11.00 per month.  I am told an Antique car insurance company would give full coverage fire & theft for about the same amount.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

ski

Thanks Chet, I went with Hagerty and they knew that some cars were titled under the engine number and some with the body number.  Very easy to work with.  Best part was for my 29U and a 65 Dart it was a whopping total of $77. per year.