• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1929 Plymouth Ignition Coil Testing Info

Started by 29plycoop, August 21, 2019, 11:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

Came across a N.O.S. ignition coil that I think is correct for a '29 Ply. There is no signs that it has ever been bolted in to use. It has the DELCO REMY logo on top and two terminals on top, + plus and - minus and the tower for the distributor cap. Has the three mounting holes on the switch end. Will attempt to attach photos to help. There is no damage that is visible so I am assuming it should be good.
In trying to test it with an oam meter across the primary terminals (+ and _ ) and shows no reading and the tower to minus terminal shows 3.21.
The question in my mind is - the key switch not being inserted what is the correct way to test this style of coil ?
Thanks for any info . Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Crazydave

Read reply #38

http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?topic=811.msg5609#msg5609

Has my readings and results when I was trying to figure it out. Has pictures of the key assembly, from the looks of it and what I remember the key "ON" connects the conductors on the top allowing it spark.

chetbrz

Rich,

At the base of that coil are the contact points for the switch.  The terminals you are testing across are interrupted by the base contact points.  You either need the switch assembly or use a continuity tester to determine which points need to be connected together to allow the coil to work properly.  You need to close the switch or simulate the close.  Do you have the rest of the key switch.

Look at Dave's pictures

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

Chet: I would be interested in finding a usable key switch assembly that will fit this coil. Any leads are appreciated.  Thanks Rich

chetbrz

Quote from: 29plycoop on September 04, 2019, 10:10:05 PM
Chet: I would be interested in finding a usable key switch assembly that will fit this coil. Any leads are appreciated.  Thanks Rich

I hate to say this but finding one of these might be a long frustrating journey.  I'll keep an eye out.

Good luck, Chet
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

CHET- Thanks for the reply and watching for a switch. My guess is you are right that a switch assy will be hard to come by. If the posibility is out there this forum I fell is the best place to try. Rich

hursst

Rich,
   I may be able to help.  I believe I have an extra coil/ignition that I tried to get working, and did get working for a few hours, but I think the coil may have given up, so I gave up.  Let me see if I can dig it out of my parts pile tomorrow and see what I have and get back to you.

-Chris

29plycoop

Chris- Thanks for the reply on the coil switch assembly. Please let me know details if you come up with the switch.  The coil you have does not have to be good as I am trying to see if a coil I have is good and need a switch for it as it does not have one. Rich

chetbrz

hursst

Rich,
   Sent you an email with a photo, not sure if you got it.  Also, I believe my switch parts to be from 1930, so not sure if these will work fully with your '29, but the coil looks exactly the same from what I can tell.

Chris

29plycoop

Chris - Sorry for the reply delay. Have been out of town visiting family. I found a coil/switch combination but it is for a 1931 Dodge. The face plate is different but the round pot metal part looks to be in good condition and it came with a key. Haven't had a chance to take it apart to see what condition it is in and see if I need any of your spare pieces. (if it is the same) Being they are hard to come by thought it worth a try. For now, thanks for helping. - Rich.  PM to follow

29plycoop

Just a few details picked up while trying to get all the parts necessary to complete an ignition switch and coil that matches an original for my '29 U Plymouth.

As the '29 Ply. U has a mechanical gas gauge in the gas tank, the correct ignition coil only has two terminals. One for hot wire and one for distributor. The coils that have three terminals are for cars with a electric gas gauge at the dash. That terminal is usually marked (GAS OR FUEL)

The dash faceplate on the '29 U Ply is oblong with rounded corners. The DeSoto faceplate is styled the same but has a  raised point in the top of the plate. It might have a gas gauge at the dash.

An interesting piece of info I came across is someone mentioned the battery terminal on his coil lost contact so he connected the wire to the gas gauge terminal and got it home.

Thanks to the forum I'm waiting on some pieces and parts to try to put together a key switch and coil the next rainy day that comes by. More details later. - Rich

Crazydave

QuoteAn interesting piece of info I came across is someone mentioned the battery terminal on his coil lost contact so he connected the wire to the gas gauge terminal and got it home.

That is how mine is still running.

From my resto thread when I was getting my running again.

QuoteOn my good coil I get about 1.5 ohms across - to +. Try it on the original batt to timer its open regardless of key position. Then I tried it from the gas gauge terminal to timer and get 1.5 ohms with the key on and open with it off. Wired it up temporary in the car, using the GAS GAGE terminal instead of BATT, coil wire to ground and open the points and zap! have strong spark!

hursst

Rich,
   You should be getting your parts shortly.  I emailed the tracking number to you.  Keep us posted on how it works out.

Chris