• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Generator/Charging Question

Started by racertb, September 09, 2018, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

Took the car out this morning for about an hour.  I noticed (and never really paid too much attention before) that my ammeter never seems to go above 9-10 amps on the gauge while driving at almost any speed.  Just curious if this is "normal" or how your cars compare.  It seems a little low, but not sure.

Thoughts?

Articifer Tom

I keep mine adjusted to a little charging maybe 3 to 5 with driving lights on . Why risk boiling the battery . Also gage accuracy on 85 yo unit come in to play . I think 12 to 15 was out put of gens DR943's . My only draw back is with headlights on it go negative . But in my state can not drive after dark anyway .

chetbrz

Ted,

With the three brush generator if you drive a lot at night it should be adjusted up if not as Tom said it should be adjusted down so as not to overcharge the battery.  Regulation is poor, more like what works best for the amount of driving you do.  If you are not having problems let it be.  Follow the code:  "If it ain't broke don't fix it !!"

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Thanks.  I'll leave it alone.  I forget to mention that at idle, it's sitting at -1 to -2.

frankp

I'm poor person to respond after my generator melt down.  Gen shop said it was a ground, re-winder said short?!

Before the troubles, mine hit upwards of +12 - 15a when hot.  This range also for borrowed gen and cut-out.  Usually cruise with lights on even during daytime.  Brings it down to +-1 - 2a, except at idle when it will go to -20 with lights on.  After traveling all those miles on just the battery, I'll be more concerned with overcharging than under.
frank p