• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Available Options From 1928 on,Wheels included

Started by Old Man, April 25, 2014, 09:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Man

This is a list taken from a salesman's booklet for Sept. 1/1928. It's not scanning very well but I think you can magnify it with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and see most of it. Qs,and the Us, right from the start could have wires or discs as well as the high compression 'red head' which surprises me. 
I've added a photo of a set of wire wheel hubcaps I've had on my shop wall for sometime. I know they were correct for 1929 but MAY be correct for 1928 wire wheels. 
This should answer any questions about what type of wheels,wooden,wire or disc, a '28,'29 or '30U COULD have had. However it would appear 99% came with 20" and then 19" wooden artillery type Quick Demountables. Although I have this set of wire wheel hubcaps for a '28 or '29 I've never seen a wire wheel car in the flesh. Jay Fisher the founder of the Plymouth Club has wires on his '29 roadster but those are very rare. (If you ever find a set of wires for a '28 or '29 these caps are for sale. They fit a 6 1/2" opening.)

racertb

ski

I had a chance to buy 4 very nice wire wheels with hubcaps and new tires for 150 bucks a few years ago that were taken off a restored 1929 U.  I hesitated because I didn't know if they would be a direct replacement for my wood wheels or if I would need other parts from the donor car.........he who hesitates is lost. I also didn't know at the time how hard it would be to find another set. Does anyone know if a different brake backing plate, drum, spindle or any other parts are required when switching to wire wheels?

Gary 30U

I would really like to have a good copy of this S