• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

29 Headlight lens

Started by Gary 30U, February 16, 2010, 12:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

I have been trying to figure out what the real information should be.

In my PLYMOUTH MASTER PARTS LIST, FINAL EDITION, FOR ALL MODELS PRIOR TO 1934, it shows the lens for the 1929 "Up to RR-683-S, U.S. built and Up to GC-331-C, Canadian built" as being a Two lite lens with a part #300520.

Big question. Is there such thing as a Two lite lens? Although I find this same exact wording referenced in several other places, which i assume simply repeated what came from the above referenced parts list, I can't find any official reference to that number (or cross reference to it), and nowhere have I found any other listing of a "Two lite lens" as a brand.

Can anyone tell me what really came on these cars? What the original part number was? What company manufactured the lens? What was their part number and what were the measurements of the lens? Any markings on the lens.

The Parts List shows the 28 Q as using part # 300153, which was a Depress Beam, part # H11471, which was a 9 5/16 X 8 1/2 lens. For the 30U it shows those up to 1560970 as using that same part # 300153, and after 1560970 it gives a part # of 321768 which was a Twilite lens part #915048 which was a 9 5/16 X 8 7/8 lens. The brand Twilite also appears in the 31, 32 and 33 year applications. Question - was the Two lite lens referenced in the 1929 year really supposed to be a Twilite lens?

Any input would be welcome.

Gary Rusher, 503-939-9320, or chiefgr@hotmail.com

chetbrz

See link below.  I know this to be the correct lense for the 29, not sure about the 30U

http://www.chetscoins.com/1929/SupportPages/Headlamp%20Lens.htm

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

Thanks Chet, Good information. I will include it in my chart.

This information actually brings up another thought. I had listed i.e. Depress Beam, as the manufacturer when in fact they are a Brand Name. I would like to ad the actual Manufacturer as was given in your referenced site.

By adding this reference I can show after market producers which made replacement lenses as well as the original equipment provider.

Thanks again for this information.

Anyone that has information on manufacturers of lenses for the 1929 to 1939 Plymouth is encouraged to provide any information you have. Information received will be shown in a chart submitted to the POC Bulletin, provided to this board and to anyone who requests a copy.

Gary

Gary 30U

Today I went to Doug Crawfords - Elderly Auto Parts - and found an after market lens. The box is from INPACO with a part number of L150. It says it fits 28-30 Plymouth, 29-30 Dodge, 28-30 Chrysler, 28-32 DeSoto and 28-30 Graham. It is just slightly smaller than the Depress Glass lens at 9 1/4 X 8 1/2. The Depress lens is 9 5/16 X 8 1/2/. The INAPCO appears to be a resemble a Twilite sytle lens rather than the Depress beam.

I gues now I will try to add after market lenses to my list.

QUESTION - I found in my stuff that came with my car the reference to Headlight - Autolight  H11471 - Depress Glass. Does anyone know if it was Autolite that produced the Depress Beam or manyother lenses al well?

Always more questions than answers.

Gary