• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Demountable Rim/Felloe/Wheel Hardware Question

Started by racertb, November 03, 2011, 02:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

All:

I've got my new tires, flaps, rim washer and nut installed on the rims of my '29 Plymouth Roadster.  My question has to to with the placement of the reducer nut for the dust cover.  It appears on a diagram that the reducer nut would screw down over the brass stem and against top of the rim itself, then the felloe with wood spokes would go next, followed by the dust cover that would screw down on to the stem through the hole in the fellow...is this correct?

If this correct, I would find it impossible to get the felloe in place with the stem being held firmly in place with virtually no wiggle room.

According to Universal Tire (where I bought everything from), I am to put the felloe on first (which should be easier to do with wiggle room of the stem and very low, if any, air pressure in the tube) and then the reducer nut and dust cover.

If this is the correct way, the reducer nut will go down to the felloe, but the hole in the felloe is about 1" in diameter.  The reducer nut does not cover the hole 100%...is it supposed to?  I almost feel as if I'd need a washer of some type to be put on before the reducer nut and dust cover.

Is ther anyone who has experience with this?

Thanks for your help!

Ted

wellery

Ted

Does it look like this

This is the sequence for installing the hardware on the brass tube stem when changing an inner tube. The dust cover is nickel plated.

racertb

Yes...that's what I've done...my question is about the rim washer and dust cover in the diagram.  The diagram makes it look like they goe on top of the rim.  The felloe is not shown in the diagram.  If I did the rim washer and dust cover at this stage, it would most likely be impossible to get the felloe on since the valve stem would be firmly in place.

I was told - and after looking at it some more in the garage - to put the felloe on first, and then screw down the rim washer over the stem until it contacts the felloe, then put on the dust cover.  This seems to make the most sense, however, the round hole in the felloe is slightly (very slightly) bigger in diameter than the rim washer (that's why I thought of putting some sort of flat washer between the rim washer and felloe).  I'm sure it will look fine once it's on there with the dust cover either way.

Does this make any sense?

wellery

Ted

This is a bloke fitting a demountable rim - u can see how he angles it to place the demountable on - hope this helps!!! - also dont forget to wear your best suit lots of laughs!!!

wellery

Ted

I am wondering wether we are talking about the same thing - My understanding is the Felloe is a segment or the whole rim of a wooden wheel to which the spokes are attached and onto which a metal tyre is usually shrunk - In our case in cars we have the Felloe that is attached to the spoked section of the wheel that bolts directly to the axle - then we have a demountable rim (which is steel) that has the flap tube and tyre (tire) mounted to it.

I hope I am not being rude but just want to clarify we are tlaking about the same thing - about what I call the Felloe or the Rim???? - I would hate to misleed you.

Cheers

Wayne

racertb

Hi Wayne:

No rudeness taken...like in your photo, the rim I am referring to is the round piece of steel (black) with the tire mounted on it and I've got that part already to go.  The felloe is the other round piece with the wood spokes attached.  On our cars, this is steel as well (as you know) and the spokes are wood.

My question has to do with the placement of the rim washer/reducer in the first diagram (does this go on before the felloe is put on?  I don't see how it could, but I want to be sure).  Or, do I put the entire wheel together first - like in the photo -  and then the rim washer/reducer and dust cover.  This would definitely be the easier (and most likely correct) way to go, but the valve stem hole in the felloe is slightly larger than the rim washer/reducer.  I doesn't fall it, but it's just not a perfect fit.

I just want to get it right the first time since this project has been a pain in the ass :D

29UJohn

I have never used these, but I do not think the reducer nut is supposed to cover the hole in the fellow.  It must be smaller so it can go thru the felloe and be tightened snug against the rim.  Probably will have to use a thin wall deep well socket, or, maybe even use the dust cover to install the reducer nut.
John
1929U 4 Dr

racertb

John:

That's what I thought all along and why I was asking the question.  However, if the reducer nut is done that way, it's almost impossible (or entirely impossible) to get the felloe on since the stem would be too stiff in place.  To put the reducer nut on after and through the hole in the felloe is impossible as well; it won't go through the hole in the felloe.

Also, the pictures I've seen using these stems and dust covers shows the stem sticking high through the felloe with the dust cover.  If done this way you and I think it should be, them stem wouldn't stick out too much through the felloe.  I guess to confirm that both the reducer nut and dust cover both go on last and after the felloe, there is a photo of a 1929 Chrysler Model 75 in the September/October 2011 issue of the AACA magazine.  If one looks close enough, they can see the reducer nut and dust cover "on top" of the felloe in one or two of the photos.  On the AACA forum site someone had posted some cars from the Chrysler museum ('29 Plymouth) that shows the same thing...I guess that is the correct way after all.

I posed the question to Earl and Jeff Buton and the answer I received (from Earl) was that they didn't know because they have wire wheels...

racertb

I meant to say '28 Plymouth for the Chrysler museum photo...

racertb

Well, here is an example of the finished product with new tire and black rim; felloe color and spokes remain the same.  Just need to clean up the tire(s)and detail a little and will be able to put back on the car.  Found some matching paint at Home Depot that I can use to touch up the felloes...all the wheels and tires look good sitting next to each other in the garage.  Working on installing the bumpers now since I had them re-chromed as well.

SDGlenn

Hey, Wheels are looking great, waiting to see the completed vehicle. Great Job!!
SD Glenn

SDGlenn

29UJohn

John
1929U 4 Dr