• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Hayes Body Corp 29U 4 door sedans

Started by 29UJohn, December 30, 2016, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

Does anyone have any information on how many 29U 4 door sedans were built using body's by the Hayes Body Corp, or any information regarding these vehicle bodies?
    After 43 years I am re-restoring my 1929U 4 door sedan and have run into a few minor issues with parts. According to the Body number plate, my 29U 4 door was built by the Hayes Body Corp.  Searching thru the Master parts book I noticed different part numbers for the doors and outside door handles.
     Does anyone else in the forum have a Hayes Body 29 Plymouth?
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

My car is a Hayes Body and I believe all 1929 cars built for the US market were Hayes Body.  This may have changed with the all steel body for the 30U and beyond.  I don't know if any of my door hardware is original so I can't help with identification.  I think I remember a past thread in this web that might have some clues so you might want to search the old posts.  Also the POC Technical Advisor for 4 cylinder cars might be able to help you.  racertb (Ted) has a nice original car though not a 4 door sedan

Cheers, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

I have a Hayes body 4 door sedan I believe to be original, with a few replaced parts here and there. Looking to identify the correct handles (inside and out) window cranks etc.?

29UJohn

The Plymouth Master Parts List book often lists body parts as"Q, U" and below that will list a different part number for "U Hayes". Sometimes there will be a separate entry for "30-U ... Canadian built".

I only have a few interior handles, none are in good shape, only two are functional. I have an original T-handle for a rear window of the 4 door, and I have a windshield crank.  If anyone has any good interior handles we could possibly get someone to remake them.  I am having some non- locking outside door handles made.  If they come out well I will let you know.  One thing that concerned me is I obtained an old outside door handle that was supposeably for a 29 Plymouth, but the escutcheon was curved too much and the shaft was a little short.  In short, it did not fit. That's when I checked the parts manual and discovered different part numbers for Outside door handles for 29 Plymouth 4 door sedan "Q, U" and "U Hayes".
John
1929U 4 Dr

Crazydave

I'll take an inventory of what I believe to be the correct handles. My locking one was busted when I got the car, I found a matching non locking on ebay that I will probably put in its place. I am afraid the other originals are going to break, they have stress cracks on them. For the time being I put hose clamps around the end to try and prevent them from splitting were they turn on the shaft. My is not a show car, we use it and have kids and people climbing all over it. So I am trying to keep it in its used original condition.

Be curious to see how your reproductions turn out. (and cost$)

frankp

What I understand is there are no production numbers available by model for '28 and '29; and Hayes made the 4dr sedan bodies in '28 and '29, Briggs made all the others.  I too have noticed the different numbers for various parts and have no idea what the difference is.

The design on the interior hardware is the same 28 - 30.  The 30 hardware is not made of pot metal and is less massive than 28, 29 which, I believe, are the same.
Also think this design used on other makes, possibly some Chrysler, DeSoto??

Her is a window crank and 2 sizes of the quarter window.  The "smaller" handle is from a 1930U.
frank p

29UJohn

The T handle I have for my 29 is just like the one on the right.
If I cannot find any interior window handles, perhaps you would consider letting a reproducer borrow one from you to make a mold?
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Quote from: 29UJohn on January 04, 2017, 09:11:02 PM
The T handle I have for my 29 is just like the one on the right.
If I cannot find any interior window handles, perhaps you would consider letting a reproducer borrow one from you to make a mold?

Count me in on any repro quantity.  I need correct hardware inside and out.   Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

Original inside door and window handles-

The one on the left is an ebay find, listed as 29 but does not match any other one in my car. Notice its narrower, and the spinner(?) is different. Matches the one in Franks picture, but I don't believe its what my car came with.

Crazydave

Crazydave

Outside Door. My locking side is busted.

29UJohn

I ordered a non- locking outside door handle from vintage reproductions.  When it comes in I will let you know how well it fits and post a picture. The price is in Australian dollars, so cost will vary with the exchange rates.  As for the other handles, since at least three of us are interested, we should be able to get them reproduced.  There are three re producers that I am aware of still in the business, prices vary.

That T-handle is the nicest one I have seen, it would be good to get it reproduced too.

As for the handles, they very well might have varied somewhat.  Did a DeLux version have different handles?
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

John,

Have you explored companies and their costs for reproducing these?  Count on me for buying at least one of all interior handles; door, window, quarter window.

As you know, Jay Fisher re-produced the door and window handles with chrome finish.  I bought his entire stock of those, 1 each, at Iola swap many years ago.  (also the crank hole cover, which another is needed)  He said his biggest cost was drilling the square mounting hole.  Pic shows what is not presently on my car.  The window knob is cracked and corroded a bit.  Maybe it could be scanned, cleaned and 3d printed for casting purposes?

frank
frank p

29UJohn

Not yet.  I will check with Don Sommer, Neil Butters and Vintage Reproductions.  Do you know anyone else?   Right now I am waiting to see if the door handles I have ordered are truly correct.  I expect to receive them in about 6 weeks.
John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

Dave,
Can you post the actual picture of the inside door handle, so I can send it to Neil Butters?  Or email it to me?
John
johnrfain@gmail.com
John
1929U 4 Dr