• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Started by GS Dan, February 18, 2010, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GS Dan

Hello all!
I guess I am one of the newest members of the group. I have owned vintage cars before but never a vintage Plymouth, and look forward to gaining some information from you folks. I have always liked the look of the Plymouths and the fact they are so rare, you never see them.
I recently purchased what I believe is a 1929 "U" Business Coupe.  Unfortunatly I got it w/out a title, however I couldn't resist buying it even w/ the title problem as it is a complete car minus the engine/trans. and is in very good shape, and I even got a few spare parts w/ it but unfornuatly nothing for the missing motor/trans.
I've scoured previous posts to try and answer some of my questions but if I ask something thats already been covered I apologize in advance.
I looked up the "Fedco" number which says it was built in 29, but I also received a body tag w/ the vehicle that states: BRIGGS MFG. CO. Detroit Mich. #322-20773.
My first question did Briggs make the bodies for Plymouth? Or could this tag be totally unrelated?
Also, is there any significant way to differentiate between a model "U" and a "30U"?
Any, info would be appreciated, and thanks.
GS Dan

chetbrz

Hi, & Welcome

Dan for model year differences try Tod Fitch's web site:  Plymouth: The First Decade.  Lots of good information.

http://www.ply33.com/

Click on the link about model information.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Dan,

My 29's body plate is HAYES BODY CORP. GRAND RAPIDS MICH.

My 1948 has a Briggs body but I am not sure when Plymouth started using Briggs bodys.

My 1948 body tag:

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Gary 30U

I too am relatively new to this old Plymouth thing, but here is what I know, or think I know.

First, I was told, and think I read somewhere that the difference in a Briggs and a Hayes body is that the Hayes had flat top side windows and the Briggs body had arch topped windows. I had thought that maybe Hayes built several different body styles for Plymouth.

I checked my Master parts book and the references are as follows:

COUPES; it lists a door for the Q and U as the same part number. No reference to Hayes or Briggs.

For the 30U it lists one for the door with narrow type garnish moulding, and one for the door with wide type garnish moulding. Still no reference to Briggs or Hayes. Not sure what the wide/narrow means.

PHAETON: just lists one door for the Q, U 30-U and PA. assume they are all the same.

ROADSTER: One door listed for the Q and U, and another for the 30-U and PA. no reference to Briggs or Hayes.

TWO-DOOR SEDAN: Again one listed for the Q and U, and a different one for the 30-U and another for  the PA, but no refernce to Briggs or Hayes.

FOUR DOOR SEDAN: In this section there all lots of references to Hayes in the U for everything dealing with the body parts, quarter panels, cowl,  pillars, etc. It appears everything about the Hayes  was different down to the door handle and escutcheon plate, but the one thing I noticed is that it doesn't differentiate in the instrument panel.

I am just guessing, but would assume that the only body built by Hayes for Plymouth was some of the 4 door sedans.

Just my 2 cents worth.

GS Dan

Gentlemen,
Thank you for all the good information, this is exactly the reason I joined this forum to gain knowledge, thanks again.
Dan