• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Road side of the wood Floor 28/29

Started by chetbrz, November 27, 2019, 11:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

I was just wondering what if any protection was applied to the roadside of the wood flooring in the 28/29 cars.

Originally:

• Was there any weather treatment ?
  • Was there any metal skins especially over the emergency brake area ?
  • What about the front kick panel. Just wood ?
  • For those that have replaced the floor what if anything did you apply to the road side of the floor ?
The roads were pretty rough back in the late 20's early 30's so I was just wondering how this was addressed from the manufacturing standpoint.
Anyone know or have a theory ?  I don't have a clue.

With the wife cooking pies and other treats for turkey day and storing them in the cool garage, I have been temporarily evicted for the holidays. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Chet, my wood floor is just painted black, not sure if that's the way it was originally built. There's no other protection or metal underneath on my car.

Russ T. Fender

I have a few original early cars and none of them have any protective covering other than a light wash of black paint.  They may have been treated with some type of preservative from the factory but there is no way to tell.  My 30-U floorboards are bare wood that is now well preserved with grease and oil.  I plan to replace them and will treat them with Cuprinol and paint them black.

chetbrz

Sounds good, just wondering. I guess these cars are the final transition from wood carriage to modern automobile.

Soon driverless electric cars.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member