• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Speed

Started by Doug, August 08, 2007, 09:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

My 30u is real comfortebel at 40 mph, Plynouth says it will do 65, youcouldn't hold it in the road if you hit a pot hole or had to stop at that speed, The other thing I was wondering, Long hill climes with the vacume fule pump, will it keep enough fule in it

chetbrz

Doug,

I agree.., 40 is a very comfortable speed for these cars.   My Son-in-law ridding behind me said that he clocked me between 50 & 55 running down Rt 28 near Dulles airport.  Dead flat road, no grade.  Of course this is pushing the car but I never had it completely revved out.   If conditions are right you may get it up to 65 mph but it would not be a sustainable driving speed.

I don't have the gas reservoir so I am using an electric fuel pump.  Maximum 2 PSI and it works great.   Once I finish the restoration on my 48 I will garage the 29 for a couple years for an engine rebuild and a redo of the wood substructure.   The car runs OK but when climbing hills the engine groans a lot, pulls strong but is definitely sounding like she could use some new main bearings.   I also burn a lot of oil, maybe a qt per 100 miles so an engine tare down is definitely on the near horizon.

Still driving although the weather here is just to hot for cruising in the 29 Plymouth.  Yesterday it was 102 at Dulles airport and 98 degrees at 8:00 PM.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

mopardave

My '28 is most comfortable between 35 and 40 mph.  I have had it up to 55, but I would not push it past that. 
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Doug

My wife and I were riding around last Sunday and we took the GPS with us, The speedometer in this car is dead on with the GPS, we were surprised at how accurate it was.

Rodney

40 mph is a nice smooth speed for Australian country roads, 40mph and 35-40 oil pressure.
I removed the old fabric webbing on the tail shaft and got rid of any vibration.