• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Some Plymouth questions

Started by 1930, March 05, 2012, 04:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thank-you if anyone here can help me with these questions..........

2- I would like to know where exactly the Plymouth vehicles were manufactured, in honesty I would like a cheat sheet of some sort that details where all Chrysler vehicles ( Maxwell as well ) cars were manufactured. 1924- 38 Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Fargo ect, as can be applied to the make of vehicle.

What plant and location.

3- I would like to confirm that all early Plymouth vehicles used the wood skeleton design much like Chevrolet and many others.

4- Until what year did they use this type of body, was there a specific body that maybe went with all steel before another for example?

5- Why didn't Chrysler use Budd bodies for the new Plymouth? Cost? Were Plymouth Fisher bodies ( all of them ) as I suspect?
Jason Anderson

Tinkeys

30u Plymouth may have been 1st body to use all steel 1930 , my 34 Dodge still has wood frame ,and I thought Dodge was a more expensive car ?
Some Plymouths where built in Detroit and some in Windsor Canada where my 30U came from as an export car r/hand built, I believe Dodge were built there as well.

Thank-you for thes response, Dodge used an all steel Budd body so not sure what you are reffering to by wooden frame unless of course the car was an export.

Only wood that would have been found was floorboards up until 1930 ( In 28 they were also experimenting with steel floors ) and tack strips for upholstery/headliner ect.
I believe it was 31 that Dodge went full scale with steel floorboards again
Jason Anderson

Gary 30U

Here is what I know.

The 28 and 29 Plymouth had wood body and door framework. My 30U is called the new finer and was advertised as and is basically an all steel body. The wood is limited to the floor boards, the interior for the upholstery attachment, and the frame for the business coupe trunk lid.

Apparently the four door sedans for 28 and 29 were made by Hayes. At least my parts book lists all these pieces as Hayes.

All other body parts were made by Briggs. (I think)

Gary

Jason Anderson

Jim Benjaminson

To answer your question as to where certain cars were built (Dodge/Plymouth/DeSoto etc) go to AllPar.com and search that question.  I put together a list from factory material I had plus others contributed to it, so the list is fairly complete.  Regarding the early 4 cylinder Plymouths - they were built in the Jefferson Avenue plant until sometime in 1929 when the Lynch Road assembly plant was completed.  At the time Lynch Road was the largest automobile assembly plant in the world.  It still sits at the corner of Lynch Road and Mt. Elliott Avenue but is no longer an auto manufacturing facility.  Plymouths were also built in the Windsor, Ontario plant in Canada.  In later years Los Angeles came on line (1932) and Evansville, Indiana (1935). 

Thanks for the info, I know the info was available there but also alot of other info that raised to many other questions so I was trying to stand clear.

BTW as you may know the Evansville plant was the old Graham Bros facility
Jason Anderson