• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

brake shoes

Started by Rusty, August 29, 2011, 02:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I was going to fix my charging problem but noticed a large amount of brake fuild around where my front passenger tire sat on the floor.  It turns out that I suddenly delvoped a back wheel cylinder.  I pulled the wheel  and brake all apart and found very soaked brake shoes and a badly leaking wheel cylinder.

I had all 4 wheel cylinders bored and sleeved in stainless steel one year ago.  Not sure why it went bad.  I am going to rehone and put new cups in  1 1/4 inch.  The question I have is there any way to save brakes shoes that are soaked in brake fluid?  Or do they just need to be relined? 

I was told once that you could put baking soda in the drum as a stop gap to get you home.

rusty

Tinkeys

Not to sure Rusty !
I did once clean diff oil soaked brakes shoes with kerosine and  hot water rinse and seemed to do the trick .
break fluid will desolve with water maybe try hot pressure water blast, Just a thought !!

29plycoop

This problem has come up now and then over the years and all you have to do is scrub brush the linings with soap and water, wipe dry and then spray the linings with a can of brake clean from the auto parts. When they dry they will work great. Good luck. - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.