• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

complete brake system cost

Started by Rusty, October 18, 2009, 01:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

All my shoes were heavy coated with brake fuild and some with wheel bearing grease.  I rebuild everything.  This is what it cost.

Master clyinder.   This was not resleeved.  The bore was not that bad, some rust but rebuildable.  
                        Rabestos number MK-1     is the kit number  27 bucks.

Wheel clyinder      All 4 were heavy rust and pitted.  Roberts has them for about 45-50 bucks but I had
                        mine all resleeved in stainless for 60 each.  Since I needed the shoes to be relined, this
                        was a lot easier and they are now done forever.  4x60= 240

Wheel clyinder kits.   Now they need to be rebuilt.   rabestos number Wk-7  is a step bore rebuild kit for
                            later mopar.  This kit has 1 1/4 and  1 1/8 cups.   It does have a new spring and
                            outter rubber cups.  You can buy a 1 1/4 rubber cup seperately.  cost 4 each

Powder coating.        I hate a rusty master clyinder so I powder coated mine shiny black.  The brake place
                            had stated that if you are going to powder coat and sleeve that the part should be
                            coated firsted then sleeve as the high heat could loosen the sleeve.  I have a home
                            eastman powder coating system so no extra coat here.

Brake drums.            All 4 were removed from the wood spoke hubs to be cleaned.  It looked a lot easier
                            to clean them off the hubs.  Once degreased, I bead blasted them and then got a
                            good look at what I have.  All were nice smooth surface and only one (rear) was
                            very rough brake surface.  I showed them to my local machine shop and the final
                            decistion was to just use them and not cut them.  The drums then got powder
                            coated black.

Grease seals.            Front ones were leaking and rear ones were missing part of the leather seal
                             front  SKF 18242  5 bucks each
                             rear   38 dollars each from then-n-now auto  in Weymouth, Mass 1-781-335-8860

Wheel bearings          These looked like no rust or pits so they were reused.

Brake hoses.             My local parts place states they have ordered the replacement hoses but were
                             shipped to the wrong store.  Should be here "soon".  I will post there part number
                             here if they turn out to be correct.

Copper washer.         If you type in copper washer on ebay, there is about 50 people selling a box of 110
                             of new copper washers.  I got one and replaced all the copper washers to be safe.

King pins                  Shot and needed new ones,  110 dollars and 50 for the machine shop to install.

Hard lines.                These seem ok to me and I just used air to blow them out and resue them.  I did\
                             remove the master cylinder to resivour and bead blast it to get a nice copper color
                             back and sprayed on a clear coat to keep the copper color.

Rear hub.                 You need a hub puller to remove the rear wheel.  Coast 110 dollars and was used
                             for 30 seconds per side.  What is needed is a FORD model TT hub puller.  The model
                             T puller is to small but the model T truck was called the Model TT.  Any model T
                             parts place on the internet will have one.  

Time                        About 5 weeks to get all the parts done.  It took a week or so to sent off the
                             brake shoes to be relined etc.    Once all the parts were back, it was easy to
                             reinstall.  I was nice to have all nice clean threads and not any oily parts.

I used the following
                             Brake and equipment warehouse
                             455 Harrison ST. N.E.
                             Minneapolis  MN  55413
                             612 378 3141
                             800 233 4053

shoes relined             I had all the shoes relined.  It cost 10 dollars per shoe 8x10=80 and then add shipping. 
                              They had new lining glued on. 

Hope this helps

rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

Good info, thanks for the breakdown, pardon the pun. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29 doUg

Brake and Equipment is the greatest. I drove down there one day and they custom made all my brake hoses in five minutes while I watched. $25 a pop.

We matched up the old wheel cylinders with new Raybestos units for $35 a piece.

They fabricate parts and ship all over the world for anything from Renault Dauphines to Duesenbergs, they are that reknowned.

Rusty

brake hoses (newly made) are from 
www.brakehoses.biz  for 75 dollars.  All three brakes hoses are the same

for snail mail
nick christman
302 E 19th street ste. D
holland MI 49423

rusty

1929luv

I bought mine from this man here he is oversize and does a wounderful job and the are a third of the price of american sold hoses.  You can ask him to put ones on ebay for 29 plymouth and he will do so or just sell them to you mabey 21.95 for set of three and shipping is real cheap. worth checking out I was  very happy and have them on the car now.  Good luck craig

this is the seller and go to ebay and pull up this number in the Ebay search and he will come up
kaiserlyon ( 975)  99.6%

Item number: 320433009739

Rusty

I forgot one part, the praking brake.  Mine had been used for a long while as the primary braking system and was worn clean off.  I had it relined by the same people who did my brake shoes  50 dollars.  I cleaned all the drum and parts of the handle , bead blasted and powder coated them,

The next part is not needed but very handy.  The ammco 1750 brake gauge.  I got a complete set off ebay for 400 bucks, some are list at 1000 for buy it now.  Do get a complete kit with intructions.  You can set the brakes without this but it does really work to make a tight brake job.  I have other cars that I can use it on so it is now just a plymouth tool.  I tried without it and I got it good enough but not great.

I just now need to remove the master clyinder storage can and bead blast and clear coat that and then the brakes are done.

rusty

29plycoop

TO 29 doUg: Do you have the part number on the Raybestos wheel cylinders that you mentioned above? Thanks - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Rusty

I do not have a new clyinder  number just the kit
WK-7
The clyinder is 1 1/4 size on both sides but this kit only does one side as it also does 1 1/8 on the other suzew (step bore)  I have to buy 1 1/4 cup along with this kit.  I had my cylinders relined with stainless. rusty