• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

manifold studs

Started by Rusty, February 25, 2010, 10:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I had to heat the manifold studs with a torch in order to get the manifolds off and bend one of the long studs that is used on the ends of the exhaust manifold.  It is about 5 inches and I can not find a replacement that long.  I tried taking a 6 inch bolt, cut the head off and thread the end and make a stud but can not seem to get the threads centered.  They seem a little off so the stud is not straight.  Does any one have any ideas on how to center or buy new studs.
thanks rusty

Rusty

I found a answer to my problem.  What I was doing was taking a 3/8    6 inch long bolt, cutting off the head and threading for a 1/2 inch course threads.  I could not get the threads perfectly centered so when the stud was screwed into the block using the new cut threads, it was not straight.  The answer, cut the bolt at 6inches, cut new threads fine for about 1 inch and use the orginial course threads to screw into the block and the fine threads for the nut.  This way the stud is straight from the block and if the threads are off center a bit, it does not matter for you are just using a nut on these new fine cut threads
rusty
Sometimes I make more work for myself than I need.