• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Fuel Line Photos

Started by racertb, April 19, 2013, 02:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Would anyone happen to have any photos of how the stock fuel line is run underneath the car from the tank up to the vacuum canister?  I have a pretty good idea, but would like to see any photos that anyone on here may have.

Thanks for your help!

Ted

imoore

Hi Ted
My fuel line comes along Passenger side of care (mines drivers being RHD) and then follows the chassis rail, then up the firewall to the fuel canister.
With mine i installed 2 fuel filters about middle of the car..
Hope this helps. if u want i can post a picture.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

kimmc

Hi Ted.  I have several photos for you (attached).  I do not know for sure that this is the original fuel line or that it is the original routing.  When I was given the car in about 1954 it already had an electric fuel pump on the firewall in place of the vacuum fuel canister.  So, you can take a look.  The fuel lines runs forward from the gas tank along the inside of the right frame rail.  At the front of the cab beneath the firewall there are two clips you can see in the picture that I believe secured the fuel line as it rose up from the frame to the vacuum fuel canister.  Pictures 1 & 2 are from the rear looking forward; pictures 3 & 4 are from the front looking back.  Hope this helps.  Kim

racertb

Thanks Kim and Ian!  This helps and I think mine is in the correct area...there are clips along the frame rail where a piece of original line was so I think I'll be good.

On another note, does any one know if a compression fitting or flare fitting was used on the line at the tank?  There is a compression fitting there now...at the carb, there is a flare fitting (the long type).  All the brake lines under the car have the flare fittings...I'm curious if all the fittings (fuel, brake) should be the flare type?

imoore

Yeh that is correct  that the fuel line clamps in the clips. All my pipes have been flared and i believe they are original. I have a spare rear diff thats all original. Been sitting out in the open since car was tossed down side of hill and this has flare nuts as well.

Good luck.
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Quote from: kimmc on April 21, 2013, 10:29:20 PM
Hi Ted.  I have several photos for you (attached).  I do not know for sure that this is the original fuel line or that it is the original routing.  When I was given the car in about 1954 it already had an electric fuel pump on the firewall in place of the vacuum fuel canister.  So, you can take a look.  The fuel lines runs forward from the gas tank along the inside of the right frame rail.  At the front of the cab beneath the firewall there are two clips you can see in the picture that I believe secured the fuel line as it rose up from the frame to the vacuum fuel canister.  Pictures 1 & 2 are from the rear looking forward; pictures 3 & 4 are from the front looking back.  Hope this helps.  Kim

If it is the original fuel line than upon cleaning and close examination you will find a seam down the middle, I was given an explanation years ago about the process of manufacturing the line but unfortunately I did not pay close enough attention.
Jason Anderson

kimmc

Thanks Jason.  I'll look for that.  Kim

Quote from: kimmc on April 22, 2013, 10:57:26 AM
Thanks Jason.  I'll look for that.  Kim
No problem, maybe oldman has the explanation of manufacturing process for these lines, if not I will find out and possibly up-date if there is any interest
Jason Anderson

kimmc

checked my fuel line and while it is steel, there was no apparent seam in the tubing.  So, maybe it is a replacement.  I took a picture of the flared end on the engine side; the fuel tank end is the same.  I also used a blue arrow to point out the clip on the firewall post; was that used to secure the fuel line up to the vacuum canister?  Thanks.  Kim

Quote from: kimmc on April 22, 2013, 09:37:27 PM
checked my fuel line and while it is steel, there was no apparent seam in the tubing.  So, maybe it is a replacement.  I took a picture of the flared end on the engine side; the fuel tank end is the same.  I also used a blue arrow to point out the clip on the firewall post; was that used to secure the fuel line up to the vacuum canister?  Thanks.  Kim

I should add that I know very little about Plymouth, I know some about Dodge cars of the same era and the original fuel lines were manufactured with a process that created a seam down the middle, I will post a picture of this seam this evening after work, I am assuming ( only makes sense ) that Dodge, Plymouth, Desoto and that other brand used fuel line supplied by the same manuf. if not manufactured in house.

My guess is going to be that your fuel line has been replaced, while again I am not familiar with Plymouth the first photo you posted shows a fuel line that is not securely attached to the frame rail from the original point of the fuel tank to the first crossmember it passes thru.

Dodge used several clips between these two points to secure to frame.

One other thing worth mentioning that you may be interested in looking into is that if memory serves me there would have been originally two of these clips that you have pointed out in your photo above holding the fuel line to the firewall before it was attached to your vacuum tank.

If you need some extra clips let me know, I have at least a bag full of them.
Jason Anderson

Here is what I am sure you will find too be an indicator of an original fuel line, this is absolutely correct for Dodge of the same time frame, hopefully these pictures will appear clear enough.
Jason Anderson