• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wiring Question

Started by SteveG, March 30, 2014, 02:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG

Quote from: chetbrz on April 07, 2014, 09:23:35 PM
Hi Steve,

If you review the diagram that the Old Man provided it is not beyond the realm of possibility that power could be applied somehow or somewhere to the casing of the coil.  Clutching at straws here.., that is why a picture of what you have is so very important.   If you have trouble posting the picture email it.

Old Man, great diagram.

I agree, the diagram is great is great, it is simple, and I understand it.

The difference is my coil only has one terminal. and it is mounted thru a big whole in the firewall. Maybe the case is grounded to the frame thru the firewall.

It worked that way since I bought it.

I do not have a scanner and I think the only way I can email it is to take a pic of a sketch.

I am going to try a couple of other ways to hook it up and then try to get a sketch posted somehow.

I'LL be back!

SteveG

Chet...

SteveG

Here's the drawing of the area I'm having trouble with.

SteveG

SteveG

Sorry - too small to read.

I'll try again.

SteveG

Biggest I can do.

I'll have to try something else tomorrow.

SteveG

chetbrz

Steve,

You are missing something and this is keeping us from helping you and its keeping you from solving the problem.  Without seeing what you are missing we will never come up with a solution.  Please send a picture of the coil from both sides (front of the firewall & back of the firewall) and a picture of the distributor looking down on it with the distributor cap off.  This picture should also show how the capacitor is wired.  A manufactures name on the coil would also be helpful for research.   

The distributor should be providing an on/off function to the coil to allow it to charge then release charge when spark is needed to fire the plug.  We need to figure out how this is being accomplished than we can fix your problem. 

Have you seen this motor running before you took it apart ?

See picture below.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SteveG

Thank you for sticking with me with this problem,

Here's the pics.

SteveG

SteveG

Holy cow!

There are two terminals on the coil. DUH!

So maybe power goes to the terminal on the back. And from the front terminal to the condenser?

Still confused, but I think we're getting someplace.

SteveG

frankp

By Jove, I think you've got it!! 

Yes, I would wire the coil terminal inside/under dash to the key/ignition and the terminal in the engine compartment to your insulated distributor terminal.  That will put everything in series.

frank
frank p

SteveG

Gotcha!

I'll do it this afternoon. As soon as I buy some more 20Amp. fuses.

I think we are almost there.

To where do I connect the generator relay?

SteveG

frankp

SteveG,

A wire is connected from the other (2nd) terminal of the ammeter to one side of the relay.  The wire from the generator is connected to the other relay terminal.  When the generator is charging, it will register on the ammeter moving the needle to the right.

Note the fuse is not in this circuit.  The fuse protects all of the lamps and the horn.

You'll be running in no time.

frank
frank p

Old Man

Now I see the problem. This has been a discussion of apples and oranges. Somebody mounted the coil through the firewall. This isn't the early 4 cylinder ignition setup. A picture sure is worth a thousand words!! I agree with frankp that the terminal inside the engine compartment should go to the distributor and the cockpit side terminal should go to your ignition switch. This will finally start and run the engine.

SteveG

Quote from: frankp on April 08, 2014, 04:01:17 PM
SteveG,

A wire is connected from the other (2nd) terminal of the ammeter to one side of the relay.  The wire from the generator is connected to the other relay terminal.  When the generator is charging, it will register on the ammeter moving the needle to the right.

Note the fuse is not in this circuit.  The fuse protects all of the lamps and the horn.

You'll be running in no time.

frank

Eureka!

Wired up as suggested and the old gal sprung to life!

I'll put back the dash and be on the road this afternoon.

Thank you all for the help.

A special thank you to Frank and Old Man.

Another adventure with 'Ole Amelia.

SteveG

frankp

Great news!   Now, about those brakes......   frank
frank p

SteveG

Quote from: frankp on April 09, 2014, 08:08:54 PM
Great news!   Now, about those brakes......   frank

Frank - Luckily the previous owner had the brake system rebuilt.

I am now going to hook up the head lights. I hope the rotary switch at the bottom of the steering column still works. I'm not sure which terminals the three head light wires go to (hint, hint?)

Sorry or pushing the envelope.

SteveG

imoore

There is a drawing in the technical information section  on the headlight circuit
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine