• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Removal of Horn Button Wire '29 Ply

Started by 29plycoop, August 07, 2010, 03:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

Has anyone removed the horn button and cover from the steering wheel?  I would like to replace the old wire that goes down through the steering column and can not find out how to remove the horn button from the steering wheel. Thanks - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Rusty

It is a minor major project.  If I recall correctly, the following.  It has been a while but it is easier on a open car then closed car

1  remove the camp at the bottom of the steering box that holds the wire/trottle rods
2  unbolt the steering box from the frame
3  remove pitman arm  (not truly needed but makes it lot easier, I would do this before unbolting steering box)
4  reomove steering camp to dash board
5  lower the steering wheel down and then just pull out the horn button and inner shaft,  whole thing is 3 feet long,  wire should come out.  Be careful not to pull out the inner steering shaft bushings.

Good time to pull the steering wheel if needed to be fixed.
good luck
rusty
let me know if I am wrong
If you got to page three of this forum and look at the      steering wheel     discussion, there is photo of the under side of the horn button assemble once removed from the steering wheel.  I recall that there are two flathead screws from the bottom that then are removed to get the button off.

29plycoop

Thanks Rusty for the info to remove the horn button (and more).  Weather permitting the horn wire will come out to be replaced shortly.  Temps will be in the in the upper 90's again starting tomorrow.  Have been spending a lot of time cleaning, sandblasting and painting all the items under the hood.  The engine was overhauled late last fall and should be finished working under the hood this month. Then I can start the new engine for the first time. Then on to the paint outside and upholstery inside. I have been considering taking liberty's with the body paint and go with a two tone instead of all Black.  Will still use factory colors, black and ??????. It is not a deluxe coupe but OH WELL. Thanks again - Rich

Rusty

Two tone.  Almost no one will ever know what color it "should " be.  I always liked color but I am against white wall wheels in these cars.  I always thought that looked "off".  These were cheap cars and never came with white walls.  I have model A's at show that have everything optioned, chrome stone guards, etc. and they look "off".  Just my two cents.  rusty

29plycoop

Rusty - I agree,  no white walls on on my Ply.  For now I will be happy to see smoke come out the tail pipe for the first time after the rebuild.  Wont be long now. - Rich

Rusty

before you start her up, read my past posts on oil pressure.  Hopefully it saves grief.
rusty

29plycoop

Rusty - I have been reading the posts on the oil pump as you pointed out.  Thanks for the heads up.  I will make sure I have oil pressure before It gets started.