• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Gentlemen, I've got a problem

Started by racertb, January 09, 2012, 09:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Not the best picture, But to my knowledge it has never been apart 

racertb

Doug - can you take a photo of the back side?  Between the differential and the drive shaft?

Thanks!

Doug

I have closed the shop for the day but I will do it in the AM. But I can already tell you that my bolts look like yours. I don't think you can get it together any other way.

chetbrz

Quote from: racertb on April 12, 2012, 06:29:20 PM
Doug - can you take a photo of the back side?  Between the differential and the drive shaft?

Thanks!

Camera angle can be incredibly deceiving.  Doug's picture looks like there is plenty of room to spare and in your pictures the position looks very close.  I would think that if you could place a ΒΌ" shim between the bolts then you should have more then enough space between the points of possible contact.  When I did mine I don't remember any concerns about clearance between bolts and the differential assembly.  On a rotational axis 1/8" would be more then enough clearance.  There is no way you would drive with a pinion shaft wobbling at 1/32 of an inch without feeling the pain and noise of the vibration.

My thoughts, I hope this helps,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Ted,
   I believe you have it set up correctly.  I have a large original lubrication chart that shows the chassis (like the one in the middle of the Instruction Book, only larger) and it shows the bolts installed the way you have them.  I installed mine incorrectly with the nuts all in the rear because that was how they were when I bought my car.  Although the clearance is close, I have never had any problems.  
  As for the buckle washers, the Master Parts Book lists 42 in all, which indicates they were between and on both sides of each disk.  I do not know why they need to be on the spider flange side though.  Since I was short some buckle washers, I used flat washers on each outside (i.e., next to the bolt heads and the nut) until I was able to find some extra ones.
  If you drive the car a lot, eventually you will have to tighten the nuts.  After several years I had to add washers so that the cotter pins would line up properly with the castellated nuts.  Recently I installed all new disks, in which case I did not need any extra washers. (The picture I had was of the older worn disks, before I replaced them with new ones.)
   On page 47 of the Instruction Book is the section on Universal Joints.  It recommends the nuts "be kept tight at all times and inspection of this is recommended at intervals of about every 5000 miles."   
 John
John
1929U 4 Dr

Doug

Here is another view. There may be more clearance than you have but like Chet says, a washer would make up the difference. That joint doesn't flex much. 

racertb

Thanks everyone...last night I put an extra washer behind each bolt head that comes in contact with the discs.  For what it's worth, they were "hardened" washers that I found at Lowe's and these are also what I used in between the discs where I did not have a buckle washer.  When I ran the car in gear at different speeds while it was on jack stands, there was no vibration whatsoever while out of the car observing the driveshaft in motion.

With the addition of the extra washers, it gave me a little more clearance than before...it looks to be about 1/8"-1/4" of an inch.  This makes me feel a little more comfortable.  I installed the all the castle nuts and put in the cotter pins.  I'll let you know how it works out on the road!

racertb

Took the car out today for a run...Wow...it has never driven smoother!  Must have gotten it right along with the new tires (installed in the fall).  It felt like I could have driven comfortably anywhere...thanks everyone for their help!

However, another issue arose...now the car is overheating after a couple of miles...looked like a locomotive coming home  I guess it never ends!