• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

I need some advise...

Started by kimmc, September 20, 2012, 01:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

That is a very nice paint sample.
Jason Anderson

kimmc

Well, I'm finally back to doing some work on the coupe again after a few days of doing other "chores" for the family.  I'm still working on the top wood.  Had to figure out a way to clamp the cracks I wanted to glue up.  I thought an old style carpenter's wood screw clamp would work but I couldn't get it to hold like I wanted so I made one out to 2 pieces of plywood, a bolt, and a C-clamp.  Works pretty good.  I glued a crack this morning and will continue on to fix the others.  The picture shows a void I will fill with the PolyAll mixed with sawdust.  I am going to have to pick up the pace if I want to get the car on the road by next summer!

SDGlenn

Keep it up Kim, you will eventually get there. Some time it is good to take a short break, then a person feels like hitting it hard again. I keep thinking how lucky I was to find one in the shape it was in when I got it. Only had basically mechanical things to fix. I am looking forward to seeing your completed project.  Take care.
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

kimmc

Hi Glenn.  Thanks for the pep talk.  Lots going on this time of year.  I guess I feel like progress is slow because I haven't been getting to work on the car for the last week or 10 days.  But you are right; it's good to get away for a while and not burn out.  It will be good to get this part behind me and be able to move on to something new.  But for now, it looks like lots of wood work ahead of me.  Maybe I can break it up with re-doing the wheels and brakes!  OK.  Thanks.  Will keep you posted.  Kim

29roadster

Yep keep it going Kim i think your doing a great job , and i have really missed seeing your progress it motivates me.
  Cheers  Glenn

kimmc

Thanks Glenn.  Hearing from you all, talking about restoration stuff, and just corresponding with you guys about this stuff is a lot of fun for me and keeps me plugging along.  I check this site everyday to see what's new and I look forward to getting the feedback posts.  Thanks for your participation.  Kim

chetbrz

Kim,

I enjoy reading your posts and seeing the pictures.  Some day I'll get to do the same on my old heap.  Great to have this thread as a guide.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Kim, I add my encouragement, too.  Getting back home and checking the forum, gets the juices flowing to work on mine.   Can't do much without a heated garage in Minnesota, so will get satisfaction from your accomplishments and what other folks are working on.
frank
frank p

Tinkeys

Hi Kim !!
          We even enjoy what's happening on your post down here in Australia ,keep us posted AAA+++

kimmc

Hi guys.  Thanks for all the feedback.  My wife and I have been baking our bones on the beach in Puerto Vallarta Mexico for the past week.  Just got back last night so now I have to start "drying out" and getting back to the real world!  I'll resume work on my coupe this week and start posting my progress again.  It was great to come back and find your posts.  Thanks and look for more soon.  Kim

Tinkeys

Hi Kimmc
Amy progress on your Plymouth !
Cheers Tony.

kimmc

Hi Tinkeys and everyone.  Well, I've been taking a break, sort of.  Besides taking a vacation, doing lots of home/yard maintenance, and trying to get out and drive my 1935 Plymouth some, I tried to follow your lead, Tinkeys, and work on 2 car projects at once.  I don't think I will be as successful as you, however.  I've owned a 1967 Mustang convertible 4-speed since it was new.  I last drove it in 1982 and for many of the ensuing years it was not in the kind of storage I would have chosen, just the best I could do at the time.  Last Oct. I met a young mechanic that is real good at his craft and who wanted to assist me with restoration/modification of my Mustang.  The short story is that once I got into it I decided it wasn't just going to be a "clean up" job and put it on the road.  Now it is completely "deconstructed" and should go to the media blasting this week.  The engine has been completely rebuilt and the rest will follow.  I am keeping it a "matching numbers" car but I am modifying it for drivability including suspension improvements and a T-5 transmission.  I want to drive the thing, not just haul it around and show it!  My wife is pretty excited about it too and keeps showing me paint colors she likes!  So, I am trying to split my time (unevenly) between the '29 and the '67 at present.  Progress on the '29 has slowed but now that the sun is out more I'm getting more ambitious and will pick up the pace on the '29.  I have been spending lots of time on the web looking for a good used compressor to hook up to my sand blasting cabinet 'cause I've got lots of stuff now for both cars that needs it.  And I'm tentatively making plans to drive my unrestored original* 1935 Plymouth Deluxe Sedan to the National Plymouth Meet in Tucson AZ at the end of April (*except for its T-5 transmission).  That's a trip of about 1000 mi one-way on side roads, not freeways.  I've got to think about that some more!  Anyhow, it was good to hear from you and yes, I'm still here plugging away on my projects.  Although I haven't posted much for a while, I do check into the Forum almost daily.  Take care buddy, and happy trails in your old rides.  Kim

kimmc

Well, after a break, I got back to working on the '29 coupe repairing and "restoring" the wood pieces of the top framing.  As I posted here previously, I used the product Poly-All, a 2-part polyurethane liquid that when mixed quickly sets up to a hard plastic.  I like working with it because as a liquid it can be poured into small spaces or voids to fill them completely.  After it sets (a matter of only minutes), the excess can be easily filed flush then sanded.  Previously, for large open holes, I mixed the Poly with sawdust to fill large open holes.  This time I was dealing with cracks and voids, some that went through the wood from top to bottom.  I wanted to fill these completely but was afraid the Poly-sawdust mixture would not flow into deep crevices and voids.  So, I just used the liquid with tape "dams" to keep the Poly liquid where I wanted it.  I tried different techniques using aluminum foil, tape and foil, and just tape and found the tape alone worked best for me.  One just has to make sure that all places where the liquid might escape from the "damed" area are completely sealed so the liquid doesn't run out.  One trick I learned here was that if a spot was particularly difficult to seal perfectly with tape and the liquid would run out, I would let the Poly mix get to the point of being viscous (like thick syrup), then pour it in where it would still fill but also "set" quickly.  I have selected a set of 7 pictures to show the process start to finish so I will have to do several posts in a row; sorry, but I have reduced the size of the pictures as much as my photo tool program will allow.  The restoration work isn't perfect but the wood is in much better condition now to receive a new top someday.  Now I've begun to work on the dry rot in top wood at rear corner on the passenger's side.  I will post my progress, but this project will be more difficult (I think I posted some pictures previously on this thread.)  Here's a list of the attached pictures (and for those in the following posts).

1)  voids in top wood above driver's door
2)  side view of taped void
3)  top view of toped void
4)  filling void
5)  filled void with solidified Poly
6)  bottom view showing how liquid Poly completely filled the void through the wood
7)  wood beam sanded

kimmc

kimmc