• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

First Drive 2022

Started by chetbrz, May 23, 2022, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

This was the first opportunity I had to take the 29 out since I replaced the passenger side front wheel.  I was amazed that after sitting all winter the car started on the first crank.  Oil pressure came right back, and it was alive again.  The wife and I drove about 15 miles round trip to get some gas at a local station.  The ride was 100% better than before.., that old wheel must have been wobbling with the road surface.  The car finally felt solid.  :)   

You cannot view this attachment.

Nice day in the neighborhood...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Good to hear . Now when does she get to drive .  ;D

Russ T. Fender

The car looks great!  They are incredibly reliable cars.  I drove mine every day for almost 10 years without so much as a hiccup and it was a tired old girl.  I can just imagine how well they perform after being refreshed! 

chetbrz

Quote from: Articifer Tom on May 23, 2022, 01:05:53 PMGood to hear . Now when does she get to drive .  ;D

Tom, she can drive her car any time she likes.  Anything new happening with your motor ?

Russ T. By me mostly rural 2 lane roads that people fly down doing 55/70.  Still getting use to life in the slow lane.  For the most part, people appreciate seeing the car and are OK with a slight delay to their progress. Hopefully put some miles on her this summer.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Thirty five is a comfortable speed but over that the vibration from those fiber disc universal joints gets annoying.  I have driven a friends Plymouth that was retrofitted with modern universal joints and his car was comfortable at 45 and could easily run at 50.    I actually had mine up to 55 once (when I was a stupid kid of 18) just to see if it would do it.  I have no doubt that with a fresh engine these Plymouths are capable of the 70 mph they were supposed to be able to achieve, not that I would ever attempt that. I rarely go over 30 in any of my cars and try to pick my routes accordingly.  It's not always easy but worth the effort.  Life in the slow lane is good!

chetbrz

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on May 23, 2022, 05:44:19 PMThirty five is a comfortable speed but over that the vibration from those fiber disc universal joints gets annoying.  I have driven a friends Plymouth that was retrofitted with modern universal joints and his car was comfortable at 45 and could easily run at 50.    I actually had mine up to 55 once (when I was a stupid kid of 18) just to see if it would do it.  I have no doubt that with a fresh engine these Plymouths are capable of the 70 mph they were supposed to be able to achieve, not that I would ever attempt that. I rarely go over 30 in any of my cars and try to pick my routes accordingly.  It's not always easy but worth the effort.  Life in the slow lane is good!

10-4 The 29 is happiest at 35mph.  My 48 I drive at 50/55.  Getting rid of the drive shaft disks for a car that is driven would be a great idea.  I get bored sitting around car shows after about 2 hours.  I have thought about doing that retrofit but for now we will stay stock.  I would like to try a POC National and see how it does.  Then after that who knows.

Articifer Tom

Hi Chet , Rod is at shop for pouring may have back this week . We will see . Crank is fine , fluid channels TBD .

racertb

Car looks great Chet!  I had mine at a show last week and haven't been on here lately. Working on my 51 Dodge truck redoing the cooling system.

Ted

frankp

Chet, pretty sharp!  Getting out for a drive is always fun.  My solitary drive this year has been storage to home.  Weather and personal business is keeping home.
For me, shake and rattle is road surface dependent.  Smooth road 40 to 45 is comfortable; rough road 30 can be ugly.
frank p

chetbrz

Hi Ted, Nice hearing from you. When you are finished with the Dodge truck shoot us a picture,

Hi Frank, Oh well, life has a way of getting in the way sometimes, hopefully things will calm down for you.  After all, just to many things to get after in the spring.  I'll have to drag out the GPS and check the speedometer after 93 years maybe not so accurate anymore. 

Tom, I wish you good luck with the rod babbitt.  :(

Marc28plym

Wow, she's really looking great!  I'm glad to see she's getting some exercise.

chetbrz

Quote from: Marc28plym on May 25, 2022, 05:53:58 AMWow, she's really looking great!  I'm glad to see she's getting some exercise.

Hay thanks, How is your project coming along?  Any new milestones turned for life in the fast lane. 

Touring29

She is looking good! I am liking the lines of these cars better all the time.

chetbrz

Quote from: Touring29 on May 25, 2022, 09:40:44 PMShe is looking good! I am liking the lines of these cars better all the time.

Thanks

How are you coming with your car.  Have you closed the deal yet.

Touring29

Still haven't closed the deal so we are just continuing on like it was ours. She says it is but seems in no hurry to be paid. The flywheel has been the hold up but it should be done today. I have the clutch and starter back already.

From what I have found here is what I think happened to the old girl. At some point it needed a starter ring. Probably the only one they could find had a little bigger id in the range of .015. They couldn't make a spacer that thin so they turned the flywheel down about .125 and made a spacer. When I got the correct ring the flywheel/spacer is now about .015 too big to give the correct interference fit. I found a machine shop to turn it down.

That starter ring wasn't really correct on the od either and although it has the same tooth count its a little bigger. That made the teeth in the starter drive bottom out in flywheel. The tops of the teeth are shiny from the wear and they should never touch.

That caused another problem. It eventually broke the armature in the starter from having to flex every time it engaged. How did it still start you ask? The starter drive has two set screws that tighten down on a flat on the  armature. It broke between the screws and the starter drive held it together.

Classic Generator found a new armature and rebuilt the starter in two weeks!

Sorry this is so long but you asked. I'll post some pictures when I get ready to put it back together.