• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Clutch & Starter Ring Install

Started by Touring29, June 18, 2022, 12:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

I'm going to try this again. We have had out of town family here so I haven't been online much.
The starter ring and clutch were in pretty bad shape and the starter was even worse so I tore into it. When I got it apart I found that at sometime in the past someone had put a ring rear on that was several thousands bigger in od and id. To make it fit they had to turn the flywheel down about .125 and put a spacer on it. I am guessing they had to do that because a spacer that would just make up the small difference would have been very thin and impossible to make. The slightly larger od made the starter bendex bottom out and eventually broke the shaft between the set screws that hold the bendex on. It still worked which is pretty amazing.

I purchased a original ring rom Al's ring gears and to make it work I had to have the spacer (still on the flywheel) turned down about .025 to get the proper interference fit of .020.

I had the clutch rebuilt at Kentucky Clutch. They found the original pressure plate was cracked and sent one a little different. I am guessing its a little later model. I sent the throwout bearing in with the clutch and they returned it after checking it. They shipped the clutch back the same day they received it!

I took the starter to Classic Generator in Midlothian Texas and he rebuilt it with a new armature and had it done in a week! I'll put the rest of the pictures in a reply

Touring29

Hooray I finally got the pictures to post! I have tried off and on for days and it took several tries tonight.

Here is the other side of the pressure plate the home made pilot tool and the rebuilt starter. He even put a new tag on it! I used a piece of pvc a 3/4" dowel rod and some aluminum tape for the pilot tool. The transmission went in the first try.

The clutch isn't as smooth as I had hoped but its a pretty solid disc with no springs or marcel so I'm not surprised.

The starter spins it over very easily and it starts in a few seconds cold. When its warm it starts instantly. 

Russ T. Fender

You're really making progress there.  The new pressure plate looks like the one in my car which is an early 30-U.   Mine is a Borg and Beck unit that has performed very well for me. I am amazed at how quickly the vendors you are using turn things around!  I can't seem to get anything turned around in less than 4 months.  Just got my re-chromed bumper bars back after six months and I am already waiting almost 18 months for my door handles.

Touring29

I was surprised at the the turnaround time too. The most amazing was Kentucky Clutch. I was tracking the clutch and it said it would be delivered on a Friday. Thursday afternoon I got a call from them asking for payment. I ask when did you get it? He said this morning so it was ready to ship back the day before I expected them to get it!

I had it running a couple of weeks ago but couldn't get my pictures to upload. No matter how I resized them the forum said they were too big. I finally deleted them off my computer and resized them as I loaded them back and it worked.

imoore

who was it that rebuilt the starter motor. I wouldn't mind buying a new name plate for mine.
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Touring29

http://www.classicgenerator.com/

Super nice guy. Works another job but rebuilds old generators & starters in a shop by his house.