• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

u joint bolts

Started by Rusty, June 30, 2010, 10:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I had a problem recently.  I installed new u joint disks but they were just a tad thicker than the old ones.  The nuts screwed on about 1/2 the width of the nut.  I thougth that was good enough.  I have about 100 miles so far on her untill yesterday.  I started to leave home for work and delevoped a severe shake once I let off out the clutch.  I got the car back into the garage and drove my 59 caddy instead.  I found out that the nuts had fallen off and the bolts worked them self out so the entire driveshaft at the rear axle had only one bolt holding it all together.  I have since bought longer bolts and new nuts and it drives great.  No damage, just to my ego.  Now I know why they were held on by codder pins.
rusty

chetbrz

You are very lucky.  If the drive shaft disconnects from the transmission side while you are driving you can do a lot of damage.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

1929luv

All the ones i have torn down have had cotter pins and castle nuts in them. OK GOOD LUCK CRAIG